New TVS-872XT Setup / TB3 issues

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
grobbarg
Starting out

New TVS-872XT Setup / TB3 issues

Post by grobbarg »

Hi all,

A bit of background - Recently my old TVS-882 was sent to Qnap to investigate random reboots, they couldn't fix it, so sent me a new TVS-872XT as replacement.

Now, the old TVS-882 was set up with usage in order of importance as follows:
1. Storage
2. QVR Pro server
3. As a VM host - 2 VM's running Windows server/Vault and 1 Windows 10 VM with a Quadro K220 GPU passed through for occasional CAD use.
4. PLEX Server

For fast transfers between one of my Win 10 workstations and the VM's, I also had an Intel X520-SR2 (Dual SFP+ NIC) installed in the TVS-882 (and Workstation). Didn't really have much success with Caching and never tried Qtier.

In setting up the new TVS-872XT, (and a long time re-synching the original RAID!) I've had a somewhat random experience, with networking and TB3, and hoping those with more experience with this NAS might be able to advise on the following:
(See bottom of post for system info.)

1. Qfinder Pro Client (7.4.5.0120) randomly finds/doesn't find the NAS on the Network (I also have a TS-531X used for backup) which also seems to get 'lost'. I've tried both fixed IP and DHCP addresses.

2. QVR Pro client constantly gives disconnected messages (although the camera streams continue).

3. As I recently acquired an Intel NUC workstation with 2 x TB3 ports I thought would be good to see what speeds I can get between the NUC and the TVS-872XT. Unfortunately, and after many attempts with the NAS not registering a connection and then getting a connection (tried 2 different TB3 cables, and in both the upper and lower PCIE slots), I seem to get better file transfer speeds over the 1GB connection between the NUC via network and the NAS than with TB3 (something like 60MB/s over TB3 and 90MB/s over the 1GB connection).

4. To help with the VM's on new NAS I'll need more RAM - I see some folks having success with the unofficial 64GB update - any recommendations? i.e. Kingston, Crucial?

5. Has anyone had real success with Caching and/or Qtier? At some point I'll get some NVME drives, but not sure whether just move the VM's from the existing SATA SSD's to new NVME storage and stick in two new WD Reds for increased RAID storage..

6. Contemplating using the old Intel X520-SR2 NIC in lower slot, however a portion of the card sticks out the end of PCIE connector (it seems to work OK, but any reason why this shouldn't be done?).

My main issue is with 3. above. I've seen posts about TB not being too reliable, but TB3 supposed to be better?
Unless there is any really good reason to pursue the TB3 direct route, I'm tempted to just ditch the idea, stick the NAS away from my desk (all those disks rattling away with QVR Pro can become annoying after a while!) purchase a TB3/SFP+ adapter for the NUC and stick with 10G networking.

Apologies if a rambling post, It's a long time since I've done any real tinkering, but any input would be appreciated.
TIA

System Info.:

TVS-872XT:
16 GB RAM as standard
F/W: 4.5.2.1630
6 x WD Red 4TB HDD (Slots 1-6) RAID6
2 x Crucial 1TB SATA SSD (Slots 7-8) for VM's
1 x TB3 Card (moved to lower slot)
Quadro K220 GPU (in upper slot)

NUC Workstation:
Intel NUC -9VXQNB
Xeon E-2286M
64GB Memory
RTX 2060 GPU
2 x TB3 ports
1 x 1 GBE port (connected to TP-Link Switch)

Network:
10G Switch: Mikrotik CRS 317-1G-16S 10G SFP+ switch (1 slot has SFP-10G-T adapter to get 10GBE to the TVS-872XT 10GBE port).
1G Switch: TP-Link T1700G 28TQ (with 1G SFP uplink to CRS 317-1G-16S).
Router: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP v2.0.9-hotfix.1 (IP's below xxx.xxx.x.100 reserved for fixed IP's)
Techthusiast
Starting out

Re: New TVS-872XT Setup / TB3 issues

Post by Techthusiast »

Hello,

Regarding your concern:
grobbarg wrote:4. To help with the VM's on new NAS I'll need more RAM - I see some folks having success with the unofficial 64GB update - any recommendations? i.e. Kingston, Crucial?
I recommend the following memory for the TVS-x72XT series:
Crucial 64GB Kit (32GBx2) DDR4 2666 MT/S CL19 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory
Crucial Technology Part Number: CT2K32G4SFD8266

Please note that the QNAP memory specification is the same for each model in the TVS-x72XT series. Thus, Crucial Technology CT2K32G4SFD8266 is compatible with QNAP TVS-472XT, TVS-672XT, and TVS-872XT.

Crucial Technology CT2K32G4SFD8266 -- Part Number Decoded:
  • CT --> Crucial Technology
  • 2K --> 2 Sticks in Kit
  • 32G --> 32GB per module
  • 4 --> DDR4
  • S --> SO-DIMM
  • F --> 1.2 Volt
  • D8 --> Dual Rank x8 (a.k.a. 2Rx8)
  • 266 --> 2,666 MHZ
For quick reference, I’d recommend to view a YouTube video posted 2/1/2020 by NASCompares/SPANdotCOM. In this video, a TVS-872XT is tested (successfully) with the Crucial Technology CT2K32G4SFD8266.

I purchased the Crucial Technology CT2K32G4SFD8266 for use in my TVS-872XT approximately 6-months ago. The 64GB kit works as expected, no troubles.

For quick reference, Crucial Technology also has the “same” memory available in smaller 16GB and 32GB kits. The benefit of a smaller capacity kit would be a small cost savings, however if your objective is to get the most performance and capability out of your NAS then the 64GB kit is the best choice. For more information on the available options from Crucial Technology, please visit: Crucial Technology Memory Selector

Additionally, I recommend to install heatsinks onto each memory module. The heatsinks I use is this: Advancing Gene Laptop Memory RAM Cooler Heatsinks, Black (2PCS Pack). To ensure you receive the same make/model I’m recommending, I suggest to purchase through Amazon from Seller named “ITASTAR Global”.

Reminder: you will need to purchase one heatsink kit for each memory module, thus for the Crucial Technology CT2K32G4SFD8266 2-module kit you will need to purchase two heatsink kits from ITASTAR Global.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Techthusiast
grobbarg
Starting out

Post by grobbarg »

Thanks Techthusiast,

Some great information there, and probably will go the Crucial route, hadn't thought about memory heatsinks, sounds cool 😊, did you have to remove any labels?
Cheers,
G
grobbarg
Starting out

Post by grobbarg »

grobbarg wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:03 pm
1. Qfinder Pro Client (7.4.5.0120) randomly finds/doesn't find the NAS on the Network (I also have a TS-531X used for backup) which also seems to get 'lost'. I've tried both fixed IP and DHCP addresses.
Reply to self Re. Qfinder Pro in case any one else has this issue, after some time figured out it was Express VPN (installed on WorkStation and other devices) somehow blocking Qfinder, disconnecting VPN would allow connection and reconnecting would block. In hindsight should've really thought about that first. A web chat with a EVPN tech. rep. had me uncheck 'Stop all internet traffic if the VPN disconnects unexpectedly' which also seemed to work, oddly. Not overly happy with that solution, but will need to check with them if there are VPN adapter settings that can also be changed.
Techthusiast
Starting out

Post by Techthusiast »

Hello,

Regarding:
grobbarg wrote:memory heatsinks... did you have to remove any labels?
Generally speaking, my preference is to preserve the manufacturer product labels as best I can. I would kindly recommend to take photos of the brand-new memory modules as soon as they are taken out of the mfr. packaging and then file the image(s) together with your purchase receipt in a safe place for future reference. From there I would suggest it is User-preference as to if you want to try to carefully remove the mfr. product label and reapply it elsewhere as preferred or just cover-it-up as needed.

Best regards,
Techthusiast

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”