How to disable admin account/user?

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
twiga
Starting out

How to disable admin account/user?

Post by twiga »

Hi,

Apologies if this is not he correct forum topic to post in.

I have received a number of failed attempts to access my NAS. I have 2FA in place, but am still nervous.

I have read up on this issue, and many advise to isable default admin account and create a new administrator account; however edit account profile the check box to disable admin account is 'greyed' out?

Any help appreciated. :-)

Many thanks
Model: TS-453 Pro + TS-653 Pro
Mousetick
Experience counts

Re: How to disable admin account/user?

Post by Mousetick »

Before asking any FAQ on a forum, you should always search online, because it's extremely likely you'll find the answer you're looking for, and as a bonus you'll be saving precious time, both yours and the people's who are kind enough to answer those same questions asked again and again and again.

Google "qnap disable admin account"

4th result is: QNAP Support: How to disable the ''admin'' user account?
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

also stop allowing access to your NAS from the internet!
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

Something the protects better than disabling admin is to un-forward ports and make sure there is no UPnP.
Something very easy is to use Qlink for remote access without any port forwarding. It does need the NAS to be registered with myqnapcloud. So I would make that password the kind you can't remember, but your browser remembers for you and you write down in case your browser forgets. You don't need to use all the myqnapcloud services, and you can turn off all the services that can be turned off except qlink. https://www.qnap.com/solution/myqnapcloud-link/en-us/

VPN is even better. But requires a little more setup. You need to forward just 1 VPN port. And set up the connection with each device you want to have remote access.

Either of these 2 methods should be much safer than port forwarding. You can disable admin as well. But the main protection is not forwarding ports.
twiga
Starting out

Post by twiga »

Mousetick wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:38 am Before asking any FAQ on a forum, you should always search online, because it's extremely likely you'll find the answer you're looking for, and as a bonus you'll be saving precious time, both yours and the people's who are kind enough to answer those same questions asked again and again and again.

Google "qnap disable admin account"

4th result is: QNAP Support: How to disable the ''admin'' user account?
My apologies, I forgot to mention ... I have already done this. i.e., created a new user, and allocated admin privileges and assigned to administrators group .... but still the check box for disable this account for ADMIN user is greyed out.
twiga
Starting out

Post by twiga »

QNAPDanielFL wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:13 am Something the protects better than disabling admin is to un-forward ports and make sure there is no UPnP.
Something very easy is to use Qlink for remote access without any port forwarding. It does need the NAS to be registered with myqnapcloud. So I would make that password the kind you can't remember, but your browser remembers for you and you write down in case your browser forgets. You don't need to use all the myqnapcloud services, and you can turn off all the services that can be turned off except qlink. https://www.qnap.com/solution/myqnapcloud-link/en-us/

VPN is even better. But requires a little more setup. You need to forward just 1 VPN port. And set up the connection with each device you want to have remote access.

Either of these 2 methods should be much safer than port forwarding. You can disable admin as well. But the main protection is not forwarding ports.
Thanks - very helpful. :-) I know where to uncheck UPnP - but how do I know if I have any port forwarding? :-)

My NAS is registered with myqnapcloud - so have that all set up. :-)

Can you tell me more about how to set up VPN on NAS? I have this at PC level, but not NAS level.
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/tutor ... d-use-qvpn
That is how to use QVPN. And of course, you can use other VPN options as well.

You can log on your router and find port forwarding information. Different routers have different layouts so I may not be able to tell you exactly how to navigate to Prot Forwarding on your particular router. But I suspect it won't take too long to find.
twiga
Starting out

Post by twiga »

QNAPDanielFL wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:31 am https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/tutor ... d-use-qvpn
That is how to use QVPN. And of course, you can use other VPN options as well.

You can log on your router and find port forwarding information. Different routers have different layouts so I may not be able to tell you exactly how to navigate to Prot Forwarding on your particular router. But I suspect it won't take too long to find.
Thank you. No port forwarding on my router. Will look into the VPN set-up. :-)
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

twiga wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:54 am Thank you. No port forwarding on my router. Will look into the VPN set-up. :-)
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... _from_the/

recommended to use the vpn server method (using openvpn)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgielyUFGeQ
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

twiga wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:11 am My apologies, I forgot to mention ... I have already done this. i.e., created a new user, and allocated admin privileges and assigned to administrators group .... but still the check box for disable this account for ADMIN user is greyed out.
No you didn't. You didn't follow the procedure given by the help page I linked to. Or you didn't follow the steps in the correct order.

I'll give you a hint: a user cannot disable their own account.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”