I stupidly changed webadmin port and remained locked out the NAS

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
orsobubu
Starting out

I stupidly changed webadmin port and remained locked out the NAS

Post by orsobubu »

In order to secure my NAS (TS-239 Pro II+ with QTS 4.2.6) after the Qlocker menace, I updated/configured/uninstalled/closed various panels, web apps, network services and port forwarding in the NAS and router, as adviced; only exceptions are smtp port 25 in NAS (for mail backup confirm) and router and webadmin ports 8080 and 443 (https) in the NAS (but I disabled 8080 and 443 portforwarding in the router) so I could access the NAS via QTS only from within my local network.

Then I made a stupid mistake and changed also the 8080 and 443 ports number in casual outlandish numbers I already forgot, and now obviously I'm locked out the NAS admin QTS interface, although I can read all my files. Being so scared I think having also disabled FTP (21) and SSH (22) services in the NAS, but I'm not absolutely sure of this. I have an updated .bin file of system setting available.

1 - Is there a possibility to upload this .bin file or change the webadmin port without the QTS interface?

2 - Is there a method to verify if I disabled FTP and SSH services?

3 - If only solution is a system reset, is better to perform the basic or the advanced type?

4 - After a system reset, and after the .bin is restored, the files privileges are untouched or I will have to reassign them manually again?

I feel really stupid I avoided the ransom attack and got in trouble with my hands.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: I stupidly changed webadmin port and remained locked out the NAS

Post by dolbyman »

just do a 3 second reset

no need to play with any ports..just make sure none are forwarded to your nas (even running a mailserver on your nas is a bad idea) .. none means none
orsobubu
Starting out

Re: I stupidly changed webadmin port and remained locked out the NAS

Post by orsobubu »

Thank you dolbyman, I did the 3 sec reset, then connected via patch cable directly the NAS (now connected with DHCP) with a PC (changed to same net/subnet), then logged with qfinder to admin web interface, then I reloaded the .bin, and now all is working perfectly; tomorrow I'll finish with your port advice, I learned something new!

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”