Default shared folders missing?

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
toeternietoe
Starting out

Default shared folders missing?

Post by toeternietoe »

I bought a new TS-253D and equiped it with two 4TB Seagate Ironwolf in a RAID1 configuration. I also upgraded to the latest firmware 4.5.3
At first install, a few default shared folders should be created, such as "Public", "Download", "Multimedia", "Web" and "homes".

But on my 253D only "Public" and "homes" seem to exist. (checked via ControlPanel > Privilege > Shared Folders)

To be sure, I completely reinitialized the 253D but the result is the same.

Is there something wrong or has Qnap's policy changed?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Default shared folders missing?

Post by dolbyman »

just create the default ones via the button in the share management
toeternietoe
Starting out

Post by toeternietoe »

dolbyman wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:50 am just create the default ones via the button in the share management
I could do that, but I am a bit worried that the lack of the default folders might be an indication that something is wrong with this station. The manual still says that that are created on install.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

normally they are ..maybe you opted to not create a volume on install? you need to have a system volume in order to create the default shares
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

toeternietoe wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:53 pm But on my 253D only "Public" and "homes" seem to exist. (checked via ControlPanel > Privilege > Shared Folders)
This is normal. Recent firmwares have reduced the number of default shares. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
toeternietoe
Starting out

Post by toeternietoe »

OneCD wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:33 am
toeternietoe wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:53 pm But on my 253D only "Public" and "homes" seem to exist. (checked via ControlPanel > Privilege > Shared Folders)
This is normal. Recent firmwares have reduced the number of default shares. ;)
So it seems.

In the meantime I discovered a small but significant difference between the Dutch version of the manual I had been reading and the latest English version. The English version - but only with regard to the "Web" folder - says: "You must enable Web Server automatically to create this default shared folder". I did and the folder appeared. I tried the same approach for the other missing folders and activated the Multimedia Console and the Download Station. Guess what? The missing folders appeared also.

So all this seems to be expected behaviour. By Qnap that is, not by me. Perhaps they could mention it in their manuals? I would certainly avoid a lot of lost time and confusion.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”