Using WIFI-usb on QNAP TS-453BT?

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
VinceCheong
Starting out

Using WIFI-usb on QNAP TS-453BT?

Post by VinceCheong »

Ok, so basically this is just a TEMPORARY solution for now. I want to use a WIFI-USB on my TS-453BT, and thinking about using the TP-LINK Archer T9UH, to connect to my home network and have internet access for it to sync to Dropbox. I tried to use my electrical wirings of my house and a HomePlug (TL-WPA9631P), but only getting around 5Mbps. So I was hoping whether have anyone used this TP-LINK Archer T9UH to connect to their NAS, or how complicated is it to use those USB-Wifi adapter thingy and configure it? I thought of getting the TP-LINK Archer T4U wifi-usb at first, but the former choice allows me to move the wifi antenna/adapter away from the QNAP without it being a wifi interference.

Eventually it'll be hooked up directly to a LAN via 1Gbe ethernet and (maybe use a 10Gbe line directly to my iMac, will try to see if I can work smoothly with Thunderbolt 3 direct to my Mac first).
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Using WIFI-usb on QNAP TS-453BT?

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

yes i believe you can do that. assuming you have a wifi ap that uses usb, plugin to the QNAP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2wFxlzh1bE

some qnap models support a wifi addon card (qnap has a wifi 6 model atm)

or alternatively, if your qnap is ethernet wired to your lan, you can then merely add a wireless ap to the same lan, then get wireless via that route. This is my current setup.

However for performance i mostly used my 1gbe wired connection which can also traverse from 1 room to another. Wireless if for devices that can't use a wired connection e.g. smartphones, tablets etc.

or if you don't have the option to expand your wired ethernet to a different room that requires access to a NAS, then wifi is cheap method to get connectivity to the QNAP.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Don't use a wifi stick, use a wifi bridge if you need wifi , you just connect your regular LAN cable to it and is transparent to the NAS
VinceCheong
Starting out

Post by VinceCheong »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:09 am Don't use a wifi stick, use a wifi bridge if you need wifi , you just connect your regular LAN cable to it and is transparent to the NAS
Yes, you've been recommending not to use those damn sticks. But, does it bug out or what kind of cons are we facing? Yes I've also considered getting a bridge, but whether is it worth it for a temporary solution, it cost 3-5 times more though.
Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:08 am yes i believe you can do that. assuming you have a wifi ap that uses usb, plugin to the QNAP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2wFxlzh1bE
some qnap models support a wifi addon card (qnap has a wifi 6 model atm)
or alternatively, if your qnap is ethernet wired to your lan, you can then merely add a wireless ap to the same lan, then get wireless via that route. This is my current setup.
However for performance i mostly used my 1gbe wired connection which can also traverse from 1 room to another. Wireless if for devices that can't use a wired connection e.g. smartphones, tablets etc.
or if you don't have the option to expand your wired ethernet to a different room that requires access to a NAS, then wifi is cheap method to get connectivity to the QNAP.
Hey, thanks for your feedback! Yeah, I've seen this, seems to easy for a plug and play. But I'm optimistic to try! lol. Waiting for QNAP's customer service to get back to me with TP-LINK's usb compatibility wifi adapters.
And yes, I know I can attach a wifi card to it, but it's being populated with the 10GbE + sata m.2.
Will give more consideration and research more.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

VinceCheong wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:05 am Yes, you've been recommending not to use those ** sticks. But, does it bug out or what kind of cons are we facing? Yes I've also considered getting a bridge, but whether is it worth it for a temporary solution, it cost 3-5 times more though.
Just all the issues that people report , the sticks performing badly, the wifi config getting lost or is not correctly applied

Just checked amazon and the cheapest wifi extender/bridge is around 25 bucks (e.g. TP-Link RE220/ Netgear EX2800) ... not sure that would be a big expense
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

he is probly right. i never heard anything good in regards to wifi usb sticks (i've tested myself long ago with a dlink).

if you don't have wireless, you can go for these

1. an all in one router with wifi 6
QNAP QHora-301W
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJvBF5CfU4k

or their new QNAP QMiro-201W | Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi SD-WAN Router
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctsrmO8QLgQ

2. wifi pcie addon for qnap (only certain nas models support this) QNAP QXP-W6-AX200 WiFi 6 Upgrade PCIe Card
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwVS6uFmL5E
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
VinceCheong
Starting out

Post by VinceCheong »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:16 am he is probly right. i never heard anything good in regards to wifi usb sticks (i've tested myself long ago with a dlink).

if you don't have wireless, you can go for these
Thanks, but I don't think you've read my first post properly. I'm going for a temporary solution. I'd like to know what kind of hiccups we get with those WIFI usb sticks... And why would qnap even have the damn wifi usb sticks as an option in the first place?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

VinceCheong wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:06 am Thanks, but I don't think you've read my first post properly. I'm going for a temporary solution. I'd like to know what kind of hiccups we get with those WIFI usb sticks... And why would qnap even have the ** wifi usb sticks as an option in the first place?
Only QNAP will know the "why" (they do not come here)

Hiccups:
viewtopic.php?t=142346
viewtopic.php?t=132562
viewtopic.php?t=159129
(etc)

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”