Help: New to NAS and struggling

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
frowo17
New here

Help: New to NAS and struggling

Post by frowo17 »

Hello,
I'm very new to the whole NAS thing and while ok at general computer stuff, I'm not really versed in network stuff so would appreciate some help.

I bought it to back up a couple of machines using Apple Time Machine and to store/stream media to devices or connect directly to my TV using HDMI and play media this way.

I thought this would be a challenge but wasn't prepared to fall at the very first hurdle. I'm working on a mac running Big Sur and first thing is a can't get Qfinder Pro to install. I get a message that says

"The installer encountered an error that caused the installer to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance"

Is there any advise to combat this or is it a common issue as looking I haven't found any answers so far.

If I can't install Qfinder Pro. How do I get started with finding the NAS on my network and what are the chances of other QNAP software behaving in the same way?
Any advise appreciated, thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Help: New to NAS and struggling

Post by dolbyman »

cant help with mac stuff but make sure you indicate the model involved....(no such info given)

Also abandon the NAS as a player ..use it as a NAS...a cheap android box or apple TV will do much better
frowo17
New here

Post by frowo17 »

Sorry I should have said the NAS model QNAP TS-453D (4G)
dhanlin
Starting out

Post by dhanlin »

I reserved the first 10 IPs on my router for static devices. I assigned my NAS, security cameras, etc. to static IPs.
I personally found that really helped with applications like QFinder Pro, QSync, Surveillance Station, etc.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”