Moving data to new QNAP NAS with no information about original disk tray location

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
piniandr
New here

Moving data to new QNAP NAS with no information about original disk tray location

Post by piniandr »

Hi,

After hardware failure of my TS-251 QNAP I bought a new TS-253-D NAS. Unfortunately, while extracting Disks from previous model, I did not note down the corresponing tray.

How can I safely move data to new hardware without this information? Please note that previous drives were mirrored and both were fully functioning.

Thanks.

Regards,

Andrea
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Moving data to new QNAP NAS with no information about original disk tray location

Post by dolbyman »

drive location does not matter, so insert them in whatever order you want

but if you are worried about your data, your backups are either non existent or too old
piniandr
New here

Re: Moving data to new QNAP NAS with no information about original disk tray location

Post by piniandr »

Thanks Dolbyman for the reply. I'm asking because in fact backups are missing some weeks of data and I'd like to avoid trying to recover information.
In several articles (e.g. https://docs.qnap.com/nas-outdated/4.3/ ... ration.htm) I find something like "Make sure the hard drives are installed in the original order".

Do you have direct experience on this porting?

Thanks.

Regards,
Andrea
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

That manual is for the wrong NAS unit (as the link shows NAS-outdated) .. CAT2 units do not have this issue

I have swapped disk positions around in CAT2 devices without problems

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”