firmware update to latest stuck at 30%; Status LED flash red then green

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
dnp1611
Starting out

firmware update to latest stuck at 30%; Status LED flash red then green

Post by dnp1611 »

ts451+ raid1 - 2x WD red 3TB

Firmware upgrade this morning and web admin page shows "Firmware Update - 30% - Updating system". Been like that for 3 hours.
When I navigate back to the web admin page, the firmware % starts at 0 and increases to 30% then stops.
Status LED is flashing red then green every half second or so.
The network shares remain accessible from windows file manager. Any suggestions on how to recover?
dnp1611
Starting out

Re: firmware update to latest stuck at 30%; Status LED flash red then green

Post by dnp1611 »

for future reference pulling the plug solved the issue. by this i mean after verifying the backups, then holding the power button down on the front of the Nas until it powered off (takes 4 seconds) and then pressing the power button again to turn it on causing the Nas to boot up. it booted without error and then offered the same firmware update once again. this time the update completed without error.
i expect that the stalling of the firmware update was due to the USB driver / service crashing prior to the initial firmware update.
usually qnap os will prompt to restart before the firmware updates starts, but i infer that this prompt is based upon period since last restart as i cannot remember seeing this prompt in this particular case. i assume this is because i had restarted the Nas the day before because the USB driver / service was not working - by which i mean plugging the usual USB hard drive into the Nas did not start the off line backup to the USB backup drive using HBS.
this has been a regular and more frequent failing. clearly off line backups are very important so the increasingly regular failure of the USB services motivates me away from using the qnap nas.
instead i have set up a windows based Nas using a script that polls for a connected usb drive before backing up the nas. been running for last 2 weeks and so far been reliable. which is longer duration than the ts451+ based usb backup. looks like the qnap Nas is to be consigned to the recycling bin.
jftremblay
First post

Post by jftremblay »

I just hit this with QTS 5.0.0.1986. The solution was to unplug external USB drives, the upgrade resumed right away. Just in case this is useful to someone.
dew_it_right
First post

Post by dew_it_right »

I know this is an old post but this happened to me today Oct 27 2022.
After reading your responses I simply unplugged the external usb drive and it immediately moved off of 30% and completed the upgrade.

Thank you both for the assistance and jftremblay, your solution is confirmed. :)

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”