Remote mounted folders

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
ManuelGabrielli
New here

Remote mounted folders

Post by ManuelGabrielli »

Hi everyone, I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to remotely mount the folders on my NAS (I have a TS420 and I'm using Mac OS Catalina).

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to network stuff and much more on the security side so please don't be harsh. What I know for sure is that my modem doesn't support UPnP.

I have no problems downloading the files via QTS Desktop or File Station but what I want is to mount the folders to work directly on the files, something that I do when I am connected to the same network of the NAS.

I have no clue on what to do next and I'm simply looking for the best and safest option.
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Re: Remote mounted folders

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

One way is to use a VPN to appear on the LAN as if you were local even when you are away. Then you can connect to the QNAP with the local IP of the NAS.
You would still be limited by your internet speed and directly working off folders in the qnap may not always be a great experience when you are limited by internet speed.

But Qsync can work using the local IP of the NAS if you VPN into the LAN where the NAS is. And Qsycn can actually download the files on your PC or mac so you can work locally on them and then sync the changes to the NAS.

Another way is to forward the https port on the NAS and then qsync can use the domain name to sync files. But that is not as secure as VPN.
ManuelGabrielli
New here

I have a good fiber-optic internet connection so the speed is not a problem. I tried setting up a VPN but the instructions on the QNAP documentation are not so good. QBelt is not available with my version of QVPN Service and I tried with an L2TP but I think I'm missing something. On the documentation it is said that I can use xxx.myqnapcloud.com as server address but is not working (it is that very link that is not working, I enabled it as a function but unsuccesfully). I also don't know where to find the public server address or what to use instead, or if the problem is related to a missing port forwarding on the router. What I know is that all the automatic procedures are not available because the router doesn't support the UPnP protocol. Concluding, I know that I need a VPN but I don't know how to set it up!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

VPN should be setup between routers or dedicated appliances (e.g. raspi)

do not forward any ports to your NAS devices . also your 420 is so old that VPN encryption would bog it's CPU down (even more)
ManuelGabrielli
New here

dolbyman wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:12 pm VPN should be setup between routers or dedicated appliances (e.g. raspi)

do not forward any ports to your NAS devices . also your 420 is so old that VPN encryption would bog it's CPU down (even more)
Yes I know that it's an old machine but is what I have. Then what's your recommendation? Assuming there is one.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

raspi was already a recommendation (tons of guides on how to build a site2site vpn)

Alternative is getting two capable WAN routers (my fav are ASUS routers with Merlin firmware)

With two RT-AC86U you can do a solid 250Mbit/s+ symmetrical OpenVPN tunnel

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”