New TS-230 appears to be dead

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
oldun
New here

New TS-230 appears to be dead

Post by oldun »

I have just started trying to set-up my recently purchased, completely new QNAP TS-230

As in structed in the QNAP video

1. I have installed two Seagate Ironwolf 4TB hard drives in the caddies and inserted the caddies into the NAS
2. I then replaced the cover.
3. I connected the NAS to the router using cable supplied.
4. I connected the NAS dc power supply to the mains supply and checked to see that I have just over 12.2 V at the plus that is inserted into the NAS, before inserting the power supply into the NAS.
5. I the pressed the power button, expecting the NAS to boot up.

Result - absolutely nothing, the NAS appears to be dead. There are no lights showing on the front of the NAS and no hard drive or fan noise and certainly no beep showing it has successfully booted-up.

Nowhere can I find any information as to which lights, if any, should be displayed on the front of the NAS, when the power button is pressed.

Qfinder cannot find the NAS.

Any suggestions?

What tests can I perform, if any?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: New TS-230 appears to be dead

Post by dolbyman »

start without disk

if it starts, you have disk issues
if not , you have a nas issue
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Have you confirmed you're pressing the power button, and not the one-touch-copy button? ;)

When the unit powers-on, you should get full fan speed for a few seconds and all the LEDs on the front panel should light-up.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
oldun
New here

Post by oldun »

Hi

I have tried to start the NAS without the hard drives but had the same result - nothing!

I made absolutely sure that i was pressing the On button. I tried pressing it briefly and for varying amounts of time but still nothing.

I have now started the return process with the supplier, as advised by QNAP.
oldun
New here

Post by oldun »

On Sunday afternoon I notified box.co.uk that I wished to start a return. I received an immediate reply. I completed the form as requested and got a second email. I asked another question and got a third email back that same afternoon.

This Monday morning I got another email informing me that they have initiated the replacement NAS.

So thumbs up to box.co.uk.

When I approached QNAP I get very little help. All they suggested was to return the NAS for replacement. It would have been nice if they had been a little more informative - they could have said that there were no user tests that could be performed and no fuses, etc, that were customer replaceable so a return was the only possible option.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I don't know the UK consumer laws..but DOA devices should be handled by the POS directly (swap or money back) ... not sure why QNAP is handling this at all.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”