TS251+ - 5.0.0.0.1891 - stuck in factory reset loop

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
mad_dog97
Starting out

TS251+ - 5.0.0.0.1891 - stuck in factory reset loop

Post by mad_dog97 »

My Qnap needed a factory reset and I started the "Smart Installation" process. When the process starts I get the following message:

Code: Select all

Hard Drive(s) with QNAP Signature Detected

The system has detected that some of the installed hard drives have previously been used in a QNAP NAS. Select "Restore Factory Settings" to restore the system to its original settings (this will NOT delete any data on those hard drives.) Or select "Initialize System" to continue the installation process (this WILL delete all of the data on those hard drives.)

I chose the "Restore Factory Settings" option to keep the data on my hard drive.

It take a couple minutes and goes through the restore process, and then an automatic reboot and a few minute later I get a

Code: Select all

Successfully Restored Factory Settings

If you cannot connect to the NAS administration page, please use QNAP Qfinder to locate your NAS.
There is a button to "Go to NAS Management" however clicking on that takes me back to the beginning of the Smart Installation process. I have downloaded Qfinder and it sees my QNAP, however by clicking on Login or Configuration there also takes me back to the browser and the Smart Installation process.

Any ideas on how to get out of this loop?
n1ghtm4r3
First post

Re: TS251+ - 5.0.0.0.1891 - stuck in factory reset loop

Post by n1ghtm4r3 »

i had same problem too.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

take out the disks ..clear them (pc with usb dock) and try again
mad_dog97
Starting out

Post by mad_dog97 »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:53 pm take out the disks ..clear them (pc with usb dock) and try again
Sorry - Give me a little more detail on this?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

What more do you need?

Take out the disks
Stick them into a PC (internal SATA) or use a USB enclosure to connect it
Format or clear the disks (e.g. diskpart in Win10/11)

now you can start from scratch
mad_dog97
Starting out

Post by mad_dog97 »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:37 pm What more do you need?

Take out the disks
Stick them into a PC (internal SATA) or use a USB enclosure to connect it
Format or clear the disks (e.g. diskpart in Win10/11)

now you can start from scratch
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of keeping my data? The reason I was going this route was to keep my data.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

factory reset would mean to clear all data..as the os is on the disks...
mad_dog97
Starting out

Post by mad_dog97 »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:49 am factory reset would mean to clear all data..as the os is on the disks...
This was the route I was trying to go down:

"The system has detected that some of the installed hard drives have previously been used in a QNAP NAS. Select "Restore Factory Settings" to restore the system to its original settings (this will NOT delete any data on those hard drives.)"

If it comes down to it and I need to wipe completely I can, but if at all possible I'd like to keep the original data.
strui901
New here

Post by strui901 »

Dear all,

Same problem here with a 231p2 NAS. After my divorce I took it with me and now, after been turned of for 2 years, I turned it on and it needed some updates.

V 5.0 with same build installed and after that the system comes in boot. I did factory reset and on a screen it stays at 99% while after about an hour the harddisk in the Nas goes in sleep mode. When i log on to the Qnap manager I get the same question for factory reset or initialize. Initialize is erase all and I want to keep my data so I choose factory reset with the same loop after ten times.

What I also tried:
Remove disk, reset the NAS en downgrade the firmware to an old version. That worked but when Install the drive the firmware directly goes to 5.0 and the same happens again.

All I want is my data back. Is it possible to buy a hdd bracket and get the data from the disk? Then I can put it on a PC and format the NAS drive by Initialize.
If that is possible I direct sell my NAS because I spended a lot of time and this drives me 😡

Best Regards!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

please read the thread..the OS is on the disks

recovery from the disks is difficult as it requires knowlage with linux and lvm (forum search) .. next time have external backups
strui901
New here

Post by strui901 »

Thanks for your great helping answer ‘next time have’.

My ex has the backup.

Of course it is stupid to have a backup system like a NAS and you need to have a backup because the system is stuck.

There must be another way to keep the files on the disk. I don’t want to go to my ex. That would be me last possibility.

Many thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If the NAS is the backup, you still have your original files at another location, if not, your NAS is NOT a backup. ... common mistake

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”