Hard Drive Missing

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
69VanNuys
New here

Hard Drive Missing

Post by 69VanNuys »

Today I unboxed a TS-853DU, installed in the rack and ready to tackle setting up my first QNAP NAS! I would welcome some help for those more experienced with QTS 5.0 setup.

After locating the NAS via QFinderPro, the QTS 5.0 setup starts. After clicking next, I receive a message "Hard Drive Missing". "Install and format at least one hard drive before using the NAS..."

I have searched the forum with others receiving the same error, but no clear answer. I don't believe these drives have been formatted, but I thought the QNAP QTS software would do that once I got into the storage management and raid setup.

Picture attached of the error message.

Any advice?
69VanNuys
New here

Re: Hard Drive Missing - Set-up Challenges to be Solved

Post by 69VanNuys »

Still struggling with this set-up step. Attached is the error message in the photo below. Anyone have any thoughts? Thank you !
Hard Drive Missing Error Message.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mhecker
First post

Re: Hard Drive Missing

Post by mhecker »

Did you ever manage to fix this?
We have the same issue with 2 TS-431XeU units....
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Do you have drives installed? Have you tried reseating them? Have you tried rolling back to the 4.5.4 firmware stream? Have you contacted QNAP support?
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
Barbours
First post

Post by Barbours »

More than likely the hard drives aren't compatible with the nas. Happened to me sometime ago. The drives were there and had data in them, then one went offline and said it wasn't there. In the end, they were never in the compatible list. Replaced them rough drives from the list, smooth sailing
ritters
Know my way around

Post by ritters »

What's the exact type of drives you have installed?
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

ritters wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:45 pm What's the exact type of drives you have installed?
The OP hasn't followed up since Feb, so I wouldn't hold my breath for a reply :)
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
rsn310
New here

Post by rsn310 »

I am having this same issue with the new TS453D that I purchased. I am using a compatible WD NAS Drive (I checked the list - its on it).

I have seen people say you need to start teh NAS without the nard drives, insert the drives then ssh to the NAS. When I try to SSH to the NAS I am told "Connection Refused" - I am using Terminal on a macOS X Catalina.

How am I supposed to format a hard drive when I dont have anyhting to hook it up to? Why does a LOT of people get this error?

Do I REALLY have to have a formated drive to start the process - and if so, what type of formatting do I need to do?
rsn310
New here

Post by rsn310 »

Shortly after I posted this, I was able to figure it out on my own.
(I have 20+ years in IT.)

I turned off my new QNAP TS453D NAS, took out the drives, turned it back on and waited till it was ready for configuration. I then right clicked on the NAS in the QFinder Pro app and chose to connect via SSH. You will then be prompted to ENABLE SSH connections to the NAS.

Once I did that, I then used Terminal in macOS X to SSH admin@1.1.1.1 (the IP of the NAS) - used the 1st MAC Address - without dashes - as the password.

Once connected via SSH, I plugged all the hard drives back into the NAS and then issued the following command from the terminal window: cat /proc/scsi/scsi
(that command showed all info of each hard drive in the NAS).

I then went to the NAS configuration in QFinder and was asked for the NAS Name, create another admin account, etc. This then started the initialization of all hard drives in the QNAP NAS.

Hopefully this helps others out as I did not see how to enable SSH thru QFinder Pro in any of the documentation online.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”