HBS 3 NAS Backup

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
intwtl
Getting the hang of things

HBS 3 NAS Backup

Post by intwtl »

HBS 3 NAS Backup

I have had to completely rebuild my backup NAS (NAS 2).

I am trying to copy my data from my daily NAS (NAS 1) to NAS 2.

I have no experience with HBS 3 but have been advised it is the best way to copy the files (21 TB) over.
If there is a better or alternate way please advise.

I have set up a folder in my DataVol1 named Multimedia on both NAS. Under this folder I have set up the folders:

Movies
New Season Maybes
To Be Sorted
TV Series
Test 1

I have set up the folder "Test 1" to test the file copy (see pic NAS 1 Multimedia folder structure). The same structure is set up on NAS 2.

I copied folder Test 1 and several files to test the HBS3 app. This can be seen in the attached pic (NAS 2 after HBS3 Backup).

As can be seen HBS 3 has created under the folder "Test 1" sub folders called Backup1 / latest/ Multimedia/ Test 1.

Is there a setting in HBS3 that will not create the sub folders and just copy only to the original folder ?

Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lousyfool

Re: HBS 3 NAS Backup

Post by lousyfool »

intwtl wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:11 pm Is there a setting in HBS3 that will not create the sub folders and just copy only to the original folder ?
AFAIK: no.
And what's the problem with that? "Test 1" is there on NAS 2, correctly under the parent folder "Multimedia". That's a feature (not a problem), because if that weren't the case and you had another "Test 1" under a different parent folder... then one would overwrite the other, logically.
Also, I guess HBS needs the other parent folders for its "Restore" button to work.

Anyway, and again: the backup parent folders, including "Backup 1" and "latest" shouldn't be a problem for you... you know now where "Test 1" is on NAS 2.
intwtl

Post by intwtl »

Thanks,
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

You created a backup job.
Then its correct, what HBS3 is doing (copying the directory structure)
You need to create a sync job for that!
Source: nas1/test1, destination: nas2/test1, in that case all content from nas1/test1 is copied (synced) to nas2/tes1.
But snycing is not a backup, so please describe more in detail, what you intent to do.

Regards
intwtl

Post by intwtl »

Yes, I just want to sync one way from NAS1 to NAS2.

Looks like I misunderstood and created a backup..

I'm learning more all the time..

Thanks
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

when backing up from 1 nas to another using HBS, normally i do a 1 way sync.

for QNAP nases there is RTRR. to anything not QNAP there is rsync. That said i use rsync still because i have an older QNAP model with a buggy RTRR that doesn't work, but rsync works without issue, so i just use that for everything (even for qnap to qnap nas)

some videos by mike explaining about how to use hbs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msDiofr7Iio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmMRJ3gnRoo

there is also the QNAP FAQ that explains about the HBS options (also in the UI there is a "?" hover over that has a brief description)
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... ackup-sync

the videos give u a walkthrough guide the faq gives u explanations for specific options etc. take ur time to read/watch understand.

but to keep it simple this is the settings for what i use for backing up from 1 QNAP (main nas) to another QNAP/truenas (backup)

1 way rsync. delete data at destination if not found or match. check integrity/checksum verification enabled (this slow down the transfer a lot. up to you if you wish to use this or not).

SSL option probably use for online remote backups over the internet. but if you are only doing locally on lan, then probably better to disable ssl, since it just only needlessly slows down your transfer.

Also that delete data at destination, understand what it does. It's what i require, but might not be what you need. u best test how it works by creating a share on both main and backup nas, call it e.g. test, then try copy some files folders over to it, then test using HBS to see if it works as u thought it would.

always test ur hbs jobs BEFORE implementing them for production is my strong suggestion.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

there are other options in HBS.

2 way sync - i don't use it. maybe there is a use case for this, just not for me :S

active sync - this is similar to truenas PULL. So if you Do NAS A to NAS B, it will pull from B to A. whereas 1 way rsync is from A to B. I only used this active sync when i couldn't do a push from truenas to qnap to do a recovery, so i used activesync to do a pull for it to achieve a recovery for my data from the backup nas :}

1 way sync - this is probably what u will be using. your pushing from A to B in 1 direction only.

at the end of the day understand these options and what works for what you require.

HBS even has scheduling if you want to automate the jobs to run auto on a schedule time/date you set. Or you can run it manually when you require (this is what i use).
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
intwtl

Post by intwtl »

Thanks,

The advise is much appreciated... I'll take a good look. I'm certainly lack NAS knowledge and have much to understand and learn...

I'm in my mid 70's and have just accepted the fact that I'm no long approaching middle age...
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

intwtl wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:46 am Thanks,

The advise is much appreciated... I'll take a good look. I'm certainly lack NAS knowledge and have much to understand and learn...

I'm in my mid 70's and have just accepted the fact that I'm no long approaching middle age...
it's ok, it's not too late to learn :)

everythings now digital, so the best place to store is on the NAS which can be accessed to all your devices on the lan (or even remotely if you use vpn and do it safely for more experienced users or u will be hit by malware). also backup is essential :D
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... _a_backup/

ur doing better than most by recognizing the fact u need to backup. a lot of the newbies don't even know this (myself included when i just started as well. then i lost terabytes of data.... then i learned me lesson :( this was before i had a nas )
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”