Solid red light - drive tests fine - new TS-251D

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
DaggerToe
Starting out

Solid red light - drive tests fine - new TS-251D

Post by DaggerToe »

Hi All,

Grr!! Ok, setting up a new TS-251D. It was going fine loading the data then I got a warning about the drive being almost full. Hardly as it's a 16tb IronWolf and I was shown how to enlarge the volume so that's fine. I loaded more data, and then I noticed the solid red light.

According to the manual and the process of elimination (not RAID), it's "the drive". So I went into the storage section and ran scans on the drive. Not only is it reporting all good but the scans came back clean. New drive, new NAS.

I'm rather new to network storage. The drive is in the #2 bay because the drive is so big it had trouble being removed from the #1 bay.

Can anyone please help me figure this out? I'm doing this for my ADHD boss so anything other than "it's working fine" will cause me no end of grief from him.

Thanks ;-)
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Solid red light - drive tests fine - new TS-251D

Post by dolbyman »

Sounds like this

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=169992

wait hold on .. this IS you .. thought you figured this out .. and if not, why open a new topic ?
DaggerToe
Starting out

Post by DaggerToe »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:59 am Sounds like this

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=169992

wait hold on .. this IS you .. thought you figured this out .. and if not, why open a new topic ?
Because I didn't have the only red light before and that problem was solved, as mentioned above. New problem, new post. Before the problem was actually telling me that the size was too small. I fixed the size, the light was green again. Now it's red again but doesn't tell me what is going on.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The , as before, upload screenshots of your storage management so we can see what the issue is
DaggerToe
Starting out

Post by DaggerToe »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:46 am The , as before, upload screenshots of your storage management so we can see what the issue is
Ok, found these on a different screen, but I'm not sure how to fix things:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Yes .. as you can see the pool threshold (top red line) was exceeded.. so the warning is coming from that

Best to never use the max pool capacity as we have seen issues with full pools in the past (storage locked)

Always leave a couple of GB in the pool free..(You can shrink that volume again)..even if you do not use snapshots

Afterwards, alter or disable the pool volume threshold and the warning will go away
DaggerToe
Starting out

Post by DaggerToe »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:32 am Yes .. as you can see the pool threshold (top red line) was exceeded.. so the warning is coming from that

Best to never use the max pool capacity as we have seen issues with full pools in the past (storage locked)

Always leave a couple of GB in the pool free..(You can shrink that volume again)..even if you do not use snapshots

Afterwards, alter or disable the pool volume threshold and the warning will go away
Ok, so take some off the 14tb and it will automatically free up for the pool?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If you shrink the volume, the Pool space will be freed up.

If you are not planning to use snapshots or other block features (e.g. ISCSI block LUNs) then there is no need to keep tons of free pool space (hence the adjustment or removal or the pool warning threshold)
DaggerToe
Starting out

Post by DaggerToe »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:50 am If you shrink the volume, the Pool space will be freed up.

If you are not planning to use snapshots or other block features (e.g. ISCSI block LUNs) then there is no need to keep tons of free pool space (hence the adjustment or removal or the pool warning threshold)
All right, I freed up some space by shrinking the thick volume but the light is still red. Is there another setting to adjust or just restart it?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Yes .. as said, if your did not free up enough space to not trip the threshold (no need to go THAT low) you still need to adjust the pool threshold (increase or disable it)
DaggerToe
Starting out

Post by DaggerToe »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:19 am Yes .. as said, if your did not free up enough space to not trip the threshold (no need to go THAT low) you still need to adjust the pool threshold (increase or disable it)
Ok, removed the checkmark next to the pool threshold, and we're green again! How can I ever thank you enough??
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If you want to thank/help me.. post screenshots right away if you have another question :wink:
DaggerToe
Starting out

Post by DaggerToe »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:34 am If you want to thank/help me.. post screenshots right away if you have another question :wink:
Derf, yes Boss ;-))

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”