New NAS Setup

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
nasmanvenno
New here

New NAS Setup

Post by nasmanvenno »

Hi All

I have just got a TS-H973AX Qnap NAS and am looking on advice for initial disk setup. The unit has 32GB ram and I plan to run zfs hero, I have the following disks and would like an SSD apps/vm pool and a HDD storage pool (assuming thats the optimal setup):

4 x Patriot 1TB 2.5" SSDs
5 x WD Red Plus 4TB 3.5" HDDs

I am a ZFS newb, what is the optimal setup I should seek to create with these when first setting up the NAS?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: New NAS Setup

Post by dolbyman »

Put the system pool on the 4 SSDs and the bulk data pool on the HDDs..otherwise not much to do
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

so i guess u can make 2 raid volumes?

1st would be the 4 ssds as raidz for data volume 1. This is your system pool. You can use the ssd for your qpkg apps, your vms.

*explanation what raidz is
https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/ ... RAIDZ.html

the 2nd would be the 5 wd red hdds. you can also make that into raidz as well for data volume 2. This is where you create shares on for storing your media like videos, pictures, music etc..... The reason we store these types of media formats on hdd is because hdd is cheaper than hdd to store bigger capacities.

whereas the ssds are nicer for things that require fast latency, fastest transfer speeds, and for things you don't move around too much (so less wear).

what do you intend to do with your nas? is remote access a requirement? if not i highly suggest you stick to a local area network only setup which is the securest and safest especially a beginner that may not know how to properly secure their network to setup remote access. You can learn how, but it may be a steep learning curve and takes time to do.

if you do a quick search on youtube there should be an explanation for zfs qnap setup. look at that and if not certain about something, come back to ask :D
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
nasmanvenno
New here

Post by nasmanvenno »

Cheers guys have setup SSD pool as raid 6 and hdd pool raid 6 also, I was never presented raidz options.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

raidz options are implied ..they are not named in the GUI
Kunzite
Know my way around

Post by Kunzite »

Right, RAID6 is in fact RAIDZ2

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”