Reset Your NAS

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
pwilson
Guru

Re: Reset Your NAS

Post by pwilson »

jparrie wrote:Due to another problem with my TS 412 (in another thread) I would like to reset the device. However, I am not taking the risk that the many hundreds of Gb of data on my hard drives will be wiped, so could someone just confirm that if I reset the QNAP, all hard disk data will be erased?

I have read the instructions above to reset without wiping the hard drives, but how can I trust this thing to do what its supposed to and not wipe it?

Can I reset after taking out all the drives?

I'm left wondering just why this has to be so difficult. When it works, it works well, but when it goes wrong I apparently need an IT degree to fix it.
Please confirm it yourself. Check out the Hardware section of the QNAP Turbo NAS User Manual, especially the Basic system reset (3 sec) and Advanced system reset (10 sec) sections:
[url=http://docs.qnap.com/nas/en/index.html?hardware.htm]Hardware[/url] section of the QNAP Turbo NAS User Manual wrote: Image
Note location of Password & Network Settings Reset button on the back of your NAS.

Basic system reset (3 sec)

After pressing the reset button for 3 seconds, a beep sound will be heard. The following settings will be reset to default:
• System administration password: admin.
• TCP/IP configuration: Obtain IP address settings automatically via DHCP.
• TCP/IP configuration: Disable Jumbo Frame.
• TCP/IP configuration: If port trunking is enabled (dual LAN models only), the port trunking mode will be reset to “Active Backup (Failover)”.
• System port: 8080 (system service port).
• Security level: Low (Allow all connections).
• LCD panel password: (blank)*.
• VLAN will be disabled.
• Service binding: All NAS services run on all available network interfaces.

Advanced system reset (10 sec)

After pressing the reset button for 10 seconds, you will hear two beeps at the third and the tenth seconds. The NAS will reset all the system settings to default as it does by the web-based system reset in “Administration” > “Restore to Factory Default” except all the data are reserved. The settings such as the users, user groups, and the network shares previously created will be cleared. To retrieve the old data after advanced system reset, create the same network shares on the NAS and the data will be accessible again.
I have needed to do procedure twice on my NAS. Both times it worked exactly as documented. I simply needed to re-create my shares in order to re-gain access to my data. In both cases no data loss was experienced whatsoever.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
jparrie
New here

Post by jparrie »

Well, reset it and I have managed to see that the data is still there, phew.

But I'm still left wondering why this is the only piece of equipment I have that connects wirelessly (or not in QNAP's case), that I require a degree in IT to be able to sort out what the hell is wrong with this and why it won't work.

One minute it works, the next it won't. One minute it can find my router, the next it can't. It tells me one thing, then it tells me something else. And on and on and on...

I am very nearly at the stage where this goes out the door. I am sick and tired of it.

Rant over, yes I am VERY frustrated.
rinthos
Been there, done that

Post by rinthos »

Other than QNAP having some poor documentation, QNAP, Synology, Netgear ReadyNAS, Thecus, Buffalo Terastations, and other similar systems are really *nix servers designed for storage management as their primary function.

If you want just plug-and-play, perhaps just get a basic router with a USB-port that allows you to put storage on it.
Not very fancy, and performance is unlikely to be good, but that's about the only simple option.

For example, last year I spent nearly a month getting iSCSI working with a Win2k8 cluster on a Synology NAS. It failed on a Netgear ReadyNAS (still not working for failover to this day), and for QNAP It was effortless.

In essence don't buy a server/NAS if you don't plan on getting your hands dirty a bit.
---

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”