Replace HDD on 109

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
wicksta
New here

Replace HDD on 109

Post by wicksta » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:22 am

Hi

I am trying to replace my hard drive on my TS109 as it had run out of space. I had assumed I could take out the old HDD, fit the new one and then copy the data across by putting the old hard drive in a USB enclosure and then plugging it into the 109. However it doesn't show up in qusb, and on trying to mount it on my mac (Macbook pro, osx 10.6) it says there is a problem with the drive. Is this because it is using the linux file system which osx cant handle, which diskwarror on osx hints at?

Is there any way round or through this problem? Any advice would be gratefully received, if this is something of a newbie question I apologise and if someone could point me in the right direction of previous posts I would be most grateful.

Thanks

wicksta

QNAPJackyC

Re: Replace HDD on 109

Post by QNAPJackyC » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:26 pm

Hi wicksta,

Do you have check the device configuration--> Usb Disk(Does it show as "USB DISK 1") and how about the system log file?

However it doesn't show up in qusb, and on trying to mount it on my mac (Macbook pro, osx 10.6) it says there is a problem with the drive. Is this because it is using the linux file system which osx cant handle, which diskwarror on osx hints at?

Yes, in default it is EXT3 file system. It may not mount on mac in default, you may need some tools like "Mac OS X Ext2 Filesystem".
You can download it from here.
http://ext2fsx.sourceforge.net/

BR.
Jacky Chen.

wicksta
New here

Re: Replace HDD on 109

Post by wicksta » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:11 am

Hi

Thanks - the drive doesn't show up as USBDisk1 or anything else and neither is there any mention of it in the system logs that I can see. Other FAT32/NTFS drives appear without problems as USB

I will see if I can persuade it to mount on macosx and copy the information across that way.

Thanks

wicksta

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”