Basic reset wont reset admin password

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
mbamya
New here

Basic reset wont reset admin password

Post by mbamya »

Hi,

I have a problem is that i can't access any of the default qnap web applications (e.g: administration) using any username/password including admin. I tried to do basic reset multiple times but it will just reset the IP address back to default.

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks.
schumaku
Guru

Re: Basic reset wont reset admin password

Post by schumaku »

Please get in contact with QNAP Customer Support. They will assist you with recovery or reset of some system files (i.e. passwd and/or groups - just my guess).
mbamya
New here

Post by mbamya »

Ok, problem solved and here is all the steps.

First you will need to try the basic reset process
- After pressing the reset button for 3 seconds, a beep sound will be heard. The following settings will be reset to default:
- System administration password: admin.
- TCP/IP configuration: Obtain IP address settings automatically via DHCP.
- TCP/IP configuration: Disable Jumbo Frame.
- TCP/IP configuration: If port trunking is enabled (dual LAN models only), the port trunking mode will be reset to “Active Backup (Failover)”.
- System port: 8080 (system service port).
- Security level: Low (Allow all connections).
- LCD panel password: (blank)*.
- VLAN will be disabled.
- Service binding: All NAS services run on all available network interfaces.

In my case this didn't help to reset the admin password, so QNAP support suggested the following:
1. Turn off NAS
2. Remove HDDs
3. Turn on NAS without HDDs
4. After you've heard two beeps (one when you turn on, second after about 2-3 minutes), try using Finder to locate your NAS
5. If Finder found your NAS, check the ip address
6. Plug HDDs in
7. Access to your NAS via SSH (Using PUTTY)

After i performed the above steps, i was able to access my qnap using admin/admin and qnap was able to restore my RAID configuration, but i lost all my data was not stored in the Public folder!!!

As i have 2TB x2 in RAID 1+0, i noticed that i can still see 1.8TB free out of 2TB, so my data was there somewhere but i can't access it!!!.

On the end i manged to restore my data by mapping the hidden folders QNAP wasn't able to show/share by the following stpes:
- Go to Volume management and check the volume status. If it's ready,
- Go to Microsoft Networking and make sure the service is enabled. If it's enabled
- Go to: Access right management --> share folders ---> recreate share folders with the "Enter Path Manually" option and select the folders to map your share folders.

From what i is found that my old QNAP default folder name used to be for example (Qdownload, QMultimedia, ...etc) and after we rebuilt the whole thing QNAP created those default folders but without the "Q", hence i couldn't see my data and no share was created.

Another way to see your hidden folders is by using WinCSP
"Download wincsp program (http://winscp.net/eng/download.php), install it with “commander” interface, and login to Qnap. All of your share folder should be under “Share” folder. To logon using wincsp use: SFTP protocol, port 22 and tick the option "allow SCP fallback."

Hope the above information will help someone in the future.
wng328
Starting out

Post by wng328 »

Hi

I have the problem of loss of admin password for my TS212 after a sudden electricity breakdown. I had tried my original password, "admin", and just void, but all failed. I had tried to reset by pressing the reset button for 3 second (I pressed up to 5 second), but no beep, no response. It may be because I haven't Enabled the reset button on the web admin page. I had tried to log in with lower level users' name and password, and it still works. So, I have no way to access to the system admin webpage. It will be appreciated if anyone could help me to get back the admin password. Thanks.
wng328
Starting out

Post by wng328 »

Continue:

I am not sure if I should carry out the following process to reset or get back my admin password. However, these steps looks dangerous that there would be risk of lossing all my data, and my settings.

1. Turn off NAS
2. Remove HDDs
3. Turn on NAS without HDDs
4. After you've heard two beeps (one when you turn on, second after about 2-3 minutes), try using Finder to locate your NAS
5. If Finder found your NAS, check the ip address
6. Plug HDDs in
7. Access to your NAS via SSH (Using PUTTY)
peterchr
First post

Post by peterchr »

Hi
I had the exact same problem, after powering off my TS-212 the "unauthorized" way, I wasn't able to login using the admin account.
I can confirm that the method mentioned above works, even the hot-plugging of the HD's on the TS-212. Don't know if i matters, but I plugged in the SATA plug before the power plug when reconnecting the second HD.
This page (http://unofficialqnapsupport.net/?page_id=424) describes the whole proces, including the commands to enter after connecting to the NAS with PUTTY.
After this only the local users were gone and had to be recreated.
jasonbox
New here

Post by jasonbox »

G'day Guys,

I'm having a similar problem with my TS-212. I tried to access it today using the usual credentials and it's saying my username or password is incorrect (I didn't forget it, I've been using the same one for months). I've done the basic reset and tried to get in with the admin / admin combo but no luck, so I'm thinking I'll have to try the above solution, however, this statement concerned me;
mbamya wrote: After i performed the above steps, i was able to access my qnap using admin/admin and qnap was able to restore my RAID configuration, but i lost all my data was not stored in the Public folder!!!
Can you define what you mean by "...lost all my data"?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

jasonbox wrote:Can you define what you mean by "...lost all my data"?
With this process, neither volumes nor file systems are destroyed. Data from shared folders remains on the file system, default shared folders are re-created - for user-defined shared folders, create the same shared folders on the NAS and the data will be accessible again.

Potential issues previously existing on the physical RAID storage or on the file system wont be magically fixed by this process.
jasonbox
New here

Post by jasonbox »

Ok thanks, any idea what causes the password to become corrupted?

It would seem that a few people are having this issue.
lunan41
First post

Post by lunan41 »

im having exactly the same problem - this is the second time the admin password (i always use the same one) has changed and after the first reset i lost all of my data. im in the same position again and dont want to lose the data ive just rebuilt again.

theres clearly a bug somewhere!
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

lunan41 wrote:im having exactly the same problem - this is the second time the admin password (i always use the same one) has changed and after the first reset i lost all of my data. im in the same position again and dont want to lose the data ive just rebuilt again.

theres clearly a bug somewhere!
Perhaps you'll let go of the switch after "3 seconds" rather than "10 seconds" going forward. :roll:

You might find it useful to review: Basic system reset (3 sec) section of the QNAP Turbo NAS User Manual.

I sincerely doubt you lost any data at all. Re-Create your shares to point to your pre-existing data. Check out the: Advanced system reset (10 sec) section of the QNAP Turbo NAS User Manual for more information on this issue. :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

If this keeps reoccurring you might want to test your unidentified HDD's in a PC using the unidentified HDD manufacturer's Diagnostics Software (non-destructive tests only), as this should not be re-occurring.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

The reset button might not be the perfect solution to escape from all troubles. Especially if things were broken before somehow.

Are you no longer able to access the NAS Web UI only, or does the ssh login to the shell fail, too? In the first case, the groups file might be broken for example - ssh continues to work, but not the Web UI access.

There are other options to bring up the system - long before using the reset button I'd suggest to bring up the NAS without HDD plugged, ensure it's discoverable by QNAP Finder ... but that's off topic here.
jasonbox
New here

Post by jasonbox »

Hi Patrick/schumaku, I'm not sure about the others here but the problem I'm having relates purely to the admin password. I was able to access the Web UI login screen and all apps that I use in the background were still working (accessible through IP address and port number) however, putting in the same password that I always use to access the QTS desktop yielded an "incorrect password" or words to that effect.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

jasonbox wrote:Hi Patrick/schumaku, I'm not sure about the others here but the problem I'm having relates purely to the admin password. I was able to access the Web UI login screen and all apps that I use in the background were still working (accessible through IP address and port number) however, putting in the same password that I always use to access the QTS desktop yielded an "incorrect password" or words to that effect.
So does User="admin", Password="admin" not work either?

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
jasonbox
New here

Post by jasonbox »

pwilson wrote:
jasonbox wrote:Hi Patrick/schumaku, I'm not sure about the others here but the problem I'm having relates purely to the admin password. I was able to access the Web UI login screen and all apps that I use in the background were still working (accessible through IP address and port number) however, putting in the same password that I always use to access the QTS desktop yielded an "incorrect password" or words to that effect.
So does User="admin", Password="admin" not work either?
No, the admin/admin combo doesn't work either after the basic reset.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”