Installing drives in 212P

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
hbcobra
New here

Installing drives in 212P

Post by hbcobra »

Yes I'm a noob at this, so feel free to poke fun (nine times out of ten, I probably would too), but please help.

Just picked up a QNAP TS-212P and two SATA drives for it. I can't figure out how to install the drives in the NAS. Neither the Quick Start guide provided with the NAS nor the manual online offers much assistance; they merely say "Install the hard drives" and have a diagram with an arrow going from a hard drive toward the general direction of the NAS.

All QNAP provided in the box was one SATA power and one SATA data cable. How am I supposed to set it up a second drive? Do I need to chain them together somehow? Is there a connector between the two that I'm missing? The NAS board only has one each of SATA power and data so I'm thoroughly confused.

Instructions appreciated. Pictures definitely welcome.

Thanks for your help.
pwilson
Guru

Re: Installing drives in 212P

Post by pwilson »

hbcobra wrote:Yes I'm a noob at this, so feel free to poke fun (nine times out of ten, I probably would too), but please help.

Just picked up a QNAP TS-212P and two SATA drives for it. I can't figure out how to install the drives in the NAS. Neither the Quick Start guide provided with the NAS nor the manual online offers much assistance; they merely say "Install the hard drives" and have a diagram with an arrow going from a hard drive toward the general direction of the NAS.

All QNAP provided in the box was one SATA power and one SATA data cable. How am I supposed to set it up a second drive? Do I need to chain them together somehow? Is there a connector between the two that I'm missing? The NAS board only has one each of SATA power and data so I'm thoroughly confused.

Instructions appreciated. Pictures definitely welcome.

Thanks for your help.
HDD1 sits on the bottom, and connects directly to the SATA / Sata-Power connector right on the Motherboard. (Slide the drive into the connector, and the screw holes will line up with the drive bracket so that you can mount the drive properly with the screws provided: (No cables required for HDD1 - it connects directly to the board).

HDD2 sits on top of HDD1, and connects to the Motherboard using the SATA and SATA-power cables provided:

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
hbcobra
New here

Post by hbcobra »

Thanks Patrick! I didn't realize the bottom drive was is supposed to be connected directly to the NAS itself and the top to the two cords. All good to go now!
edbro

Post by edbro »

I'm glad I found this. I've been trying to figure this out myself. The picture on the start page ** and it isn't clear where the cables go. I have definitely seen better documentation than this!
supreme84
First post

Post by supreme84 »

Hi,
I'm trying to install two disks in 212P.
The system can't see the second disk, but the led is green (fixed). I'm using Seagate Barracuda disk (3TB).

Any suggestions?

Tnx
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

supreme84 wrote:The system can't see the second disk, ...
Where have you checked this exactly please?

Have an eye in the Control Panel -> System Settings -> Storage Manager -> Volumes

Still can't see the newly added HDD there?

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”