finder app doesn't work when I am vpn'ed into network

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
dbiando
New here

finder app doesn't work when I am vpn'ed into network

Post by dbiando »

Hi All,
I have a question regarding the QNAP finder app running in Windows. I can check the NAS with the finder when I am at the office, but when I get home and connect up to the network via VPN, I cannot. The finder app will not connect to the NAS and reports no NAS found. I can, however, access the log in page from home by typing the NAS IP onto my browser address line when connected to the business network using their VPN.

(I am not talking about the VPN function of the NAS itself, but the business VPN portal)

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Danny Biando
schumaku
Guru

Re: finder app doesn't work when I am vpn'ed into network

Post by schumaku »

QNAP Finder does make use of broadcast for the NAS discovery. This is typically not possible (or wanted...!) over a routed VPN, and works only on a LAN in the same broadcast domain.
dbiando
New here

Post by dbiando »

That explains it. Thank you so much for the information and the prompt reply.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

dbiando wrote:That explains it. Thank you so much for the information and the prompt reply.
You don't need Finder for this anyway. Your NAS lives at 10.8.0.1 under OpenVPN.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
elginbear
New here

Post by elginbear »

pwilson wrote:
dbiando wrote:That explains it. Thank you so much for the information and the prompt reply.
You don't need Finder for this anyway. Your NAS lives at 10.8.0.1 under OpenVPN.
i dont use OpenVPN but one through my Asus router. have tried 10.8.0.1 and no luck, have tried the 192. equivalent and still no luck. any suggestions?
many thanks
Angus
elginbear
New here

Post by elginbear »

pwilson wrote:
i dont use OpenVPN but one through my Asus router. have tried 10.8.0.1 and no luck, have tried the 192. equivalent and still no luck. any suggestions?
many thanks
Angus
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

You need to use the standard LAN IP address with most router based implementations, the special one mentioned is only valid when using the NAS-based VPN.
elmeric
New here

Post by elmeric »

This was a very helpful thread!

Okay... I am sitting on a MAC and have a VPN setup through tunnelblick to a QNAP. Tried to go n on the 10.8.0.1 and it seems to work in the web-browser... don't find a way to write that into the qfinder program though... how do I do it so that I can access the hard drive of the qnap as a "network drive" when over VPN?
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

elmeric wrote: Tried to go n on the 10.8.0.1 and it seems to work in the web-browser... don't find a way to write that into the qfinder program though... how do I do it so that I can access the hard drive of the qnap as a "network drive" when over VPN?
You don't need anything like QFinder for this. RTFM for your OS.

:arrow: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4829
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
elmeric
New here

Post by elmeric »

Sorry for the noob question, but thanks for the answer :)
key75
New here

Post by key75 »

Hello,

I know it is old discussion, but hopefully somebody will answer...
I created VPN on my home network just to get local access to my NAS and be able to use wake on LAN funtion, but even newest Qnap Qfinder Pro have the same problem (not detecting NAS via VPN). Since my router not allow WoL request resend from internet to my LAN (router even have special app just for this, but "magic packet" not waking up my NAS) I created this VPN for it but it wont help me ether :(
Even when I bookmark my NAS in NAS Qfinder Pro and try to "force" it on this bookmark, it is still same :(

Any idea how to solve this ?

Thank you
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

please open a new thread ... don't add replies to 6 (!!) year old threads

P.S. Answer is in the second post

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”