QNAP Expansion suggestion - TS-x53A or UX800P

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
gana2k1@gmail.com
Starting out

Re: QNAP Expansion suggestion - TS-x53A or UX800P

Post by gana2k1@gmail.com »

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I was away from the forums for a couple of weeks (too much work). I decided to take a different route and do some cleanup with my older NAS and offloaded not-so-critical movie backup from the old NAS to a machine hard drive - that cleaned up more than 2TB, so I will survive for a few more months :-)
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 »

That's what I did with all of my ISOs, but I put them on a bare hd via USB docking station. I also download any new ones every once in a while. I freedup 2.4TB.
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
LittleBird
Starting out

Post by LittleBird »

Interesting comments from all but would like to share my home user experience with a UX-500P. First a bit of background. My NAS boxes (TVS-871 & TS-453Pro) are arranged so that they backup weekly into a TS-853Pro. I have lots of audio/visual material (9Tb) and not much else apart from some Windows machines also backing up into the TS-853. I've recently rebuilt my pre QTS 4.2 871 & 453 to take advantage of "snapshots". To reload the 871 from the backup on the 853 took about 2.5 days via my local Gigabit network. In the QNAP Tutorial https://www.qnap.com/i/en/tutorial/con_ ... ne&cid=139 it describes a method using an expansion box to speed up the transfer of material between NAS boxes. Having a spare UX-500P left over from an unsuccessful early days experiment with a TS-459Pro II I decided to give it a go. The same transfer took about 12 hours. This set me thinking about how I had set up my 853 and whether I could incorporate the UX-500P into a permanent arrangement with the 853. The idea was to backup all the A/V data into the UX-500P with all the other data going into the 853. This meant that whenever I needed to reload my 871 data all I had to do was unhook the UX-500P from the 853 move it into the room where the 871 resides, plug it in and transfer the data. So in short the expansion unit offers speedy transfer of backed up data and mobility.

However as in all things there is always a snag or two. philhu mentioned heat problems in his UX800-P. After experimenting with my UX500-P it has similar problems. My 853 doesn't talk fan speed to the UX500-P. The expansion unit stubbornly maintains its speed at 600 rpm irrespective of any configuration in the 853. The 853 by the way responds as expected to all the configuration changes. This is a problem in hot places like Australia where maintaining headroom between the ambient temperature and electronic equipment is critical if failure of the equipment is to be avoided. A second problem involves the initial set up as per the tutorial. Make sure the "Disable home/multimedia features" box in general settings is selected otherwise unexpected folder movements will occur. So in summary I haven't proceeded with my 853 backup reconfiguration using the UX500-P at this stage. Hopefully a "fan" patch will be forthcoming at some point. When it does I will revisit my 853 configuration.

So at the moment I would recommend gana2k1@gmail.com look at a solution other than an expansion unit (unless he lives in a cold place like Canada?). Paragraph 1 gives the advantages and paragraph 2 the disadvantages.
6502dude
First post

Post by 6502dude »

philhu wrote:ux800-p is junk
I also had problems with mine overheating because of a bug when the raid group in it was building but the fan speeds were checked from the main nas, so the fans did not speed up in the exp box. First I lost 1 disk, then all then my entire storage pool.

To complete the build, I was forced to shoot a desk fan directly into the back of the unit to keep temps down

Now it is winter the temps are a bit lower and it runs fine, just slow.

QNAP is asking to connect to my system, to verify speed and fan problems, I am asking them to set it up in their lab, as it is a hardware to OS problem, not my hardware
Did your overheating problem every get resolved?
I have UX800P with eight 8TB drives. They run +45c in a room that is 18c
This box seldom has any significant actively as it is used to archive video content.

Now I am getting over temp warnings on 2 drives (>50c) after simply copying a couple of 10gb video files to the box.
Main NAS unit TVS671 is showing fans on UX800P running at 650rpm.

Drives in TVS671 run consistently at 26c

I really do not want to run a fan blowing into rear of UX800P, simply to do the job that the expensive hardware should be doing.

I would have to agree that UX800P is over priced, slow, and poor value for money.
I powered down the UX800P last night.
I can not afford to lose data or have a couple of drives fail (<2 months old) due to unreliable QNAP hardware.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

gana2k1@gmail.com wrote:Thanks for the response Moogle.
I was kinda leaning towards another NAS too instead of expansion.

-Gan
All the UX models work at 40-50% less performance than the head unit they are connected to.
Bear this in mind if you are deciding to a)expand the existing volume(s) or b) create separate RG/volume on expansion.

Only the SAS based expansion units work at same speed as head unit.
slaven1337
New here

Post by slaven1337 »

Sorry for replying to this old thread. The issues you were describing just fit too well to my situation.

I got a UX500P a few days ago and equipped it with different hdds I had laying around as my only intention way to make use of the hardware I had some where in my house anyway. I am experiencing poor cooling performance as well. My head unit (TS 453A) keeps my disks cool (~ 36 °C), even it is about 27 °C in my apartment at the moment. The disks in the extension unit are running hot (!) one drive is at 52 °C even. Coolest drive is 45 °C. The fan speed seems to be set at 540 rpm fix in the UX500P. Couldn't see any change in revolutions.

Is this extension really such a big thermal design fail? Help highly appreciated, maybe I am missing something.
sonnsterr
Know my way around

Post by sonnsterr »

I use a TX-500p works great...super fast..runs cool.... I use it for backups, Nice unit.. :D
QNAP TS-1677X 1700 RAM 64G
astley
New here

Post by astley »

:? :?
Qnap design "Smart Fan" runs at 700rpm with incomprehensible measuring system temperature, e.g. 37 °C, but not directly counting the hardisk temperature. The algorithm is not only applied to UX expansion unit, but also exists in the TS-670 and TVS-873 main unit. I trusted this "Stupid Fan" in the past, resulted in lost of valuable data and replaced 5 NAS grade hardisks gradually. After that, I changed to manual fan speed to 1500rpm. My TS-670 operates 3 years without any hardware failure.

The R&D team maight not accept complaints because they tested in lab with no problem, and the user manual advised operation condition as well. Whomever will aware the discrepancy between office and home environment !!
The test lab ambient temperature is commonly well controlled to 22 °C. If home user stimulates the ambient at 25°C or below, there will not be overheat occurred. So why user seldom complaint in winters. :lol:

Return to “Presales”