TS 1277 nvme compability

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
P3R
Guru

Re: TS 1277 nvme compability

Post by P3R »

schumaku wrote:RAID50 and RAID60 are waiting around the corner with QTS 4.3.4, too.
Yes and it will be very useful for business applications in the very large NAS models but do you see any advantage with RAID 50/60 for the 98 % of home users (that mainly have sequential access) and use arrays of up to 8 disks?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

P3R wrote:Yes and it will be very useful for business applications in the very large NAS models but do you see any advantage with RAID 50/60 for the 98 % of home users (that mainly have sequential access) and use arrays of up to 8 disks?
I'm sorry but I hadn't noticed that schumaku had already answered on the subject in another thread when I asked this question.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Delite writes -
Mainly i will be using the system for streaming media locally and over internet for a couple of friends, download station, photo station and cloud backup

I always get in trouble for making rude comments, but COME ON - you are building a power house station for fun, to stream videos for a couple of friends. P3R accurately questioned "maybe its for a 100 client office". But it's not - it sounds like it's for you, and your friends to watch some movies, and to use download station and photo station. Do you have 200,000 photos that you are constantly searching through for work, or is this casual use ? Your problem will have nothing to do with the QNAP. You could have no SSD's, no M.2 SATA and no NVMe's. Or you could have all of them and setup Qtier. Your ONLY problem will be the limit of your ISP connection, (and your friends ISP connection). If you are not paying for a commercial 100 Mb/sec or greater connection, you will have crappy performance over the internet, no matter how fast your QNAP is working. Perhaps I don't understand the breath of your full application, but if this is for casual use, you are way over thinking all of this.

I just wanted to comment on Schumaku's comment above - with an 8 bay, doing RAID 60 will be kind of ridiculous - with 8 10TB drives, you will get 40 TB (36 TB) of usable storage ! Kind of overkill (but I guess super safe).

bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com

Return to “Presales”