New 8th Gen Intel Core i3/i5/i7 models?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
BryceWilkins
Know my way around

New 8th Gen Intel Core i3/i5/i7 models?

Post by BryceWilkins »

Hello folks!

I've been wondering if we can expect a new TS- or TVS- NAS based on current 8th gen Intel Core i3/i5/i7 CPU for the SMB market. Basically a refresh of TVS-x82 (non-Thunderbolt) series.

Is it possible QNAP decided that higher-end non-Thunderbolt NAS will be AMD-based, leading to the new TS-x77 AMD Ryzen-based series, and not include an Intel option? I wonder if I'm waiting for a Intel CPU NAS that's not going to exist...

Pure speculation here, of course, but just wondering if there's any info out there as I'd really like to replace my aging TS-459 Pro...

Cheers!
BryceWilkins
Know my way around

Re: New 8th Gen Intel Core i3/i5/i7 models?

Post by BryceWilkins »

Anyone even interested in the next Intel-based NAS release?
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Sure we are but this is a community forum and we have no knowledge of upcoming products or product plans. Even if someone knew something they would be under a NDA.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Why do you need Intel?

Ryzen is the fastest and a better deal if you don't need Thunderbolt right now. There will always be something new at the horizon, also when Qnap have updated the TVS-X82-line. You can wait forever...

I have the TS-X77 and it's a whole new world compared to my old TS-459 Pro II.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

P3R wrote:Why do you need Intel?

Ryzen is the fastest and a better deal if you don't need Thunderbolt right now. There will always be something new at the horizon, also when Qnap have updated the TVS-X82-line. You can wait forever...

I bet it is P3R :) Congrats on the new gear. With the update for Container Station supporting GPU, vQTS, etc. there are tons of new goodies to spend time with.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
BryceWilkins
Know my way around

Post by BryceWilkins »

Don wrote:Sure we are but this is a community forum and we have no knowledge of upcoming products or product plans. Even if someone knew something they would be under a NDA.
Thanks, Don, very true. I thought there might be some visitors here with industry knowledge/insight with ideas of what might happen for a new release and when...speculative for sure...but might be of some use to those (like me) who are a bit in shopping mode but can wait.
P3R wrote:Why do you need Intel?
Thanks, P3R! I don't need Thunderbolt so the TV-x77 is a viable option and if I had to buy right now that's what I'm looking at. Glad to hear your positive impression of it! :)

The most similar Intel seems to be TVS-x82 line which is a bit dated since it was originally out with 6th Gen Intel CPUs...and started at a Core i3 CPU with upgrade options to Core i7. The flexibility to self-upgrade the CPU/RAM down the track was appealing to me; I hope that option continues with new models. I've not heard of people upgrading TV-x77...not sure why not... I'm patient for now...looking forward to see what is coming next :)
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

BryceWilkins wrote: The most similar Intel seems to be TVS-x82 line which is a bit dated since it was originally out with 6th Gen Intel CPUs...and started at a Core i3 CPU with upgrade options to Core i7. The flexibility to self-upgrade the CPU/RAM down the track was appealing to me; I hope that option continues with new models. I've not heard of people upgrading TV-x77...not sure why not... I'm patient for now...looking forward to see what is coming next :)
One thing to keep in mind about the "self-upgrade" of the CPU, it very likely voids you QNAP warranty. Memory upgrade isn't a big deal, CPU is a different kettle of fish in regards to warranty.

As for people upgrading their TS-x77, the model has only been available since late Dec. 2017 so it is still new. Also with the amount of power in even the Ryzen 1600 (which outperforms the x82 i7 by roughly ~20% based on passmark ratings) there is less need for it than say an i3 x82.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
BryceWilkins
Know my way around

Post by BryceWilkins »

Trexx wrote: One thing to keep in mind about the "self-upgrade" of the CPU, it very likely voids you QNAP warranty. Memory upgrade isn't a big deal, CPU is a different kettle of fish in regards to warranty.
As for people upgrading their TS-x77, the model has only been available since late Dec. 2017 so it is still new. Also with the amount of power in even the Ryzen 1600 (which outperforms the x82 i7 by roughly ~20% based on passmark ratings) there is less need for it than say an i3 x82.
Good point, Trexx! Definitely CPU upgrade will void the warranty so it's mostly something I consider "down the road" after the warranty is expired anyway. The Core i3 is an entry to the lineup while saving some $$$, and later on DIY upgrade. Of course, power/thermal considerations to make, and it won't be worth the hassle for some. To each their own...

I would love to see/read TS-x77 photos/teardowns/upgrades! Is CPU upgrade is possible? The base CPU in TS-x77 is already very powerful and not a huge leap (like Intel Core i3 to Core i7) from the bottom to top of the range...even some will prefer the lower core count with higher clock speed. Perhaps that is another reason for little info on CPU self-upgrade? I keep my fingers crossed there might be a wide range of performance options for the next-gen TVS-x82 line.

For sure, I (and probably others) are not considering TVS-x82 line at the moment when TV-x77 line is superior (as long as Thunderbolt isn't required)...so I wait patiently to hear something...but who knows they may even skip current 8th Gen Intel CPUs...
Last edited by BryceWilkins on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

BryceWilkins wrote:I would love to see/read TS-x77 photos/teardowns/upgrades!
The chassis is the same as TVS-X82 so there's really nothing new to see.
Is CPU upgrade is possible?
I don't see why it shouldn't be possible but when also considering the amount of RAM you get, there's really nothing to save compared with buying the correct model to begin with. Therefore I don't see TS-X77 users rebuilding as much. They will be busy trying to figure out what to do with all the performance already available. :wink:
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Presales”