Home File Server

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
Barboots
Getting the hang of things

Re: RE: Re: Home File Server

Post by Barboots »

gggplaya wrote:I did some testing, it seems my desktop ethernet isn't as fast as my laptop's ethernet. It's like 10% slower but the results are pretty much the same. My NAS is in Raid 5 with three 6TB WD Red drives and the directory I'm copying is about 21GB and takes about 6 minutes to copy from the NAS.

--It doesn't seem to matter if I copy from my NAS or laptop, but reading a whole directory of larger RAW image files (40MB each) is done at about 45MB/s to 60MB/s depending on the computer.

--Reading a whole directory of smaller jpg files is about 10-15MB/s from the NAS or my desktop.

--Reading a large 6GB movie single file saturates the gigabit at about 90MB/s-110MB/s.

--Writing the same directory from my SSD on my Laptop to the NAS is about 80MB/s.

--Copying from my Internal SSD to my internal magenetic hard drive within the PC is about 80MB/s, the small jpg files don't change the speed at all when copying internally.

--Opening and saving PDF, Word, and Excel files is just as instantaneous as on my computers with SSD drives, even though it's on the network.

Raid 5 is supposed to have a faster read than write, so I'm not sure what's going on, but that's how my QNAP 451+ performs as it is. It has an intel celeron J1900 processor.
I really appreciate the time you have given me... thank you.

- Can I take this data as confirmation that the Gbe (or in my proposal 2Gbe) is nowhere near the bottleneck for small file transfer?

- Can anyone clarify what specifications in the Qnap range would maximise it?

Cheers, Steve
Barboots

Re: Home File Server

Post by Barboots »

TS-451A 2G $525
TS-451+ 2G $600
TS-453BE 4G $630
TS-453A-4G $630
TS-451+ 4G $640

Bought the 451+ 2G. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Thanks for your time, guidance... and mis-guidance
Barboots

Post by Barboots »

A summary I made up with all the points of difference relevant to me highlighted.
4 Bay.jpg

Primary specification comparo.
4 Bay Full.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aarbee
Easy as a breeze

Post by aarbee »

According to me is the 453BE a bit like Goldie-locks.
Most powerfull (double over 451), but lacking some nice gadgets.

I thought that the Celerons starting with N are more Notebook related and the Celerons starting with J are more desktop related.
Desktop is mostly more powerfull then the notebook vesion.

In the end it all comes down to: how money do you have, how much do you want to spend, what do you really need.
Buying for 5 years in to the future is throwing money down the drain (experience wise).
Friendly Greetings,

RobB

Main NAS:
Model: TS-253D - 20200725
Boot:- Raid 1: 2x 1 TB m.2 WD Red
Disks - 6TB WD Red, 350GB WD blue 2.5"

BACKUP NAS (On 2 hours a day due to Electricity costs)
Model: TvS-673 40GB (2*32+2*4) - 20170215
Boot:-Raid 1: 2x Crucial M.2 275GB 2x
Disks Raid 1:-3.5" 2x Toshiba 10 TB
UPS: Back-UPS Pro BR900G-GR
---

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Media Boxe: Nvidia ShieldTV Pro
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pkelecy
Starting out

Post by pkelecy »

Barboots wrote:TS-451A 2G $525
TS-451+ 2G $600
TS-453BE 4G $630
TS-453A-4G $630
TS-451+ 4G $640

Bought the 451+ 2G. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Thanks for your time, guidance... and mis-guidance Image
Just curious why you didn't consider the TS-473? Cost?

Return to “Presales”