TS-128A or TS-228A with adapted 2.5" HDD

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
Fr33l4ncer
New here

TS-128A or TS-228A with adapted 2.5" HDD

Post by Fr33l4ncer » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:07 am

Hi,

I recently bought a 2.5" HDD (Seagate Expansion 4TB), before getting interested in the opportunities that a NAS could provide me, as a beginner.
So, I was wondering if I could fit that drive (ST4000LM024) into a TS-128A or TS-228A (which are only accepting 3.5" HDD) with the help of some kind of adapter, like this one : https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Adapter-Mo ... B01LZWX6PD ?

Thanks in advance :)

Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything

Re: TS-128A or TS-228A with adapted 2.5" HDD

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:37 am

what are you expecting out of the NAS though? It's kinda hard to recommend a NAS if you don't tell us
- storage space needed
- budget
- cpu power required? e.g. transcoding? or many apps?
- your intended usage and requirements?

if all you just need is a network connected hdd, and you are not interested in running any apps on the NAS, then yeah, perhaps a ts-128a or a ts-228a would work.

i ONLY RECOMMEND raid hdds for raid setups. e.g. wd red nas hdd, or seagate ironwolf. Only use hdds in compatibility list. anything not compatible is not suitable or appropriate.
https://www.qnap.com/en/compatibility/
Unfortunately the ST4000LM024 is a SMR drive

desktop hdds usually are rated for 8 hours ish operation. not 24/7 .... and also they aren't rated for raid rebuilds.... just understand that first.

I would suggest a 2bay nas using raid 1 over a single bay nas.

better yet is a 4bay nas, a ts-453be model which has an intel celeron cpu and is usually fine for a main nas, UNLESS you require even MORE cpu power. Also with 4bay you can then use raid5 with 4 hdds which is my MAIN recommendation.

use this to figure out your usable space using raid
http://www.raid-calculator.com/

This is a basic NAS buyers guide
https://nascompares.com/2018/10/19/nas- ... d-netgear/

A standalone NAS is NOT A BACKUP! A backup requires your data stored in 2 physical different devices.

So something like a QNAP NAS paired with a TR-004 which is a external usb storage may be considered an example of a nas with a backup
https://nascompares.com/qnap-tr-004-nas ... on-review/

qnap has something like those tray things, but they are for pcs though
https://www.qnap.com/en/product/series/ ... rkstations

most of the qnap nas have a tray that supports either 3.5'' or 2.5'' check the product page compatibility to see what it supports.

anyway bottomline, TS-128A or TS-228A will be fine for simple storage and network connected file server. But other than that, you will be dissapointed because the specs are very low end, so if you install apps it may feel sluggish. Get a ts-453be which is acceptable for most people :)

also like i said, unless we know more details, we can't really give a more appropriate recommendation.

But what i can already say is, that HDD you wanna use is not appropriate for NAS at all :S
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 + 16gb ddr4 Crucial + QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter.
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-659 Pro II 1x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-228 w. 1x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS)
[^] QNAP TS-128
Mobile NAS TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100dl/50ul MBPS FTTH Internet | Windows 10, WC PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Guides & articles
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review

https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Fr33l4ncer
New here

Post by Fr33l4ncer » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:10 pm

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed answer, much appreciated. :)
I should indeed have given a bit more context first. :wink:

So basically, I used for years Syncthing to synchronize contents from an OVH server, to my own desktop computer.
Issue is, that content was only synchronized when the computer was ON. Meaning when I got back from work, and it was using 100% of my internet bandwidth for a few moments.
Workaround was to wake up computer remotely with WOLI while at work, wait for content synchronization, then using Windows Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) to shut the computer down manually.
Not power efficient at all either.

I recently moved to a new place, and I now have more than my computer I need that content available from in my apartment (namely, TV, tablet, phone).
I don't plan on having my desktop as a bottleneck anymore, hence why I looked at a NAS solution.

To answer the questions now.
I don't think I would require more than 4TB storage now. No RAID and no backup really needed as of now.
I'm more on an entry level budget, and I think my usage is quite basic.
Hence why I oriented myself towards either a ts-128a or a ts-228a (I saw an offer of the latter with a 50€ discount, so basically the price of the former).
But since those two only list 3.5" drives as compatible, I wanted to make sure a basic 2.5" to 3.5" adapter like the one I linked would work.

I understand now that the HDD I planned is not the best suitable for a NAS usage (bought it initially to plug on smart TV, or AndroidTV box, or to replace failing / full desktop HD).
I know very little about NAS and HDD, but I assume that, with my basic usage, when the disk is not writing / reading after a defined period of time, it will likely go in "standby" / "low power" mode (like with a desktop computer with an operating system on SSD), isn't that right ?
Won't change the fact that it's powered up 24/24 indeed though.
What are the risks of proceeding with it ?
Reducing its lifetime to a third ?

Thanks again :)

Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:31 pm

hm.... you could go with a 1bay nas (only 2bay nas raid1 if you require the redundancy).... then get a external usb for your backup (easystore, wd elements or something :' ).

If you went with a 2bay NAS using raid 1 2 x 4tb, that is not a backup. yes the other hdd mirrors copy the other, but that is still not a backup.

USE NAS HDD. wd red nas or seagate ironwolf. especially if you leaving nas on 24/7

if you still INSIST on using a non compatible desktop hdd for a NAS, you can google that up why it's a bad idea.

hope you are using VPN for your remote access? there are ton of cases where hackers exploit RDP to gain access.

Access your home lan via VPN, then you can access your NAS. check the forum search for vpn setup :'

a lot of peoples NAS get hacked cauz they port forward their nas and don't use VPN for remote :S

no i am not aware of slapping on any adapters then using that with these particular models. you can only use whatever 2.5'' or 3.5'' it says it supports. check the product page it's got a compatibility list there and also a spec page :' use only what is supported.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 + 16gb ddr4 Crucial + QWA-AC2600 wireless adapter.
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-659 Pro II 1x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-228 w. 1x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS)
[^] QNAP TS-128
Mobile NAS TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100dl/50ul MBPS FTTH Internet | Windows 10, WC PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Guides & articles
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review

https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Presales”