Direct connect QNAP w/ single port 10GBe card

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
andyramsey
New here

Direct connect QNAP w/ single port 10GBe card

Post by andyramsey »

Hi everyone-

I've got a QNAP TS-1685 on the way for video editing. I'm at my home office for the foreseeable future due to COVID so I ordered the single port QNAP 10GBe card to direct connect to my Windows machine rather than a switch (which I'll get when I'm back in an office with other folks I want to share storage with). I got the card installed and it dawned on me that I wasn't sure if I could still use the 1GBe adapter built into my motherboard for internet access (I'm hard-wired to it as I type). I don't need (or want) the QNAP attached to my network at the moment and It's my understanding that I can make a subnet using the 10GBe card that only has the 1685 on it as a device. Am I incorrect in assuming this? And, if so, is the solution to get the 2-port 1-GBe card to use as both the connection to the internet and to the 1685?

Appreciate the help if anyone has a similar setup!
Andy
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Direct connect QNAP w/ single port 10GBe card

Post by dolbyman »

yup .. that's how I do it on my 951X, just give the port a separate subnet with a fixed IP and put the PC adapter in the same subet (fixed IP as well) .. works just fine

(shares get mounted in the new subnet for it to work)

existing 1GbE on the computer will remain the default gateway and all PC internet traffic will got that way
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi Andy -
I assume you are getting a QNAP QXG-10G1T for your Win 10 PC. You plug this 10G port into one of the two 10G ports on the back of the QNAP. You make the QNAP 10G port a static IP of 192.168.2.3 subnet 255.255.255.0 (that's just an example - you can use any numbers that you like) - and your PC 10G port - 192.168.2.11. Once you setup a shared folder in the QNAP, and enter a user name in the QNAP for that shared folder that you will log in with, on your PC, you type in \\192.168.2.3. It will ask for your name and password - so just enter what you just put into your QNAP (it can be your admin info), and the shared folder will appear on your PC. Make sure to MAP the Network Volume on your PC !
Now, for internet access, just use the 1G port on your Win 10 PC, and any one of the four 1G ports on the TS-1685 to go to your internet router. Now you have everything. To be very clear - you can still use the 1GbE adapter on your motherboard Win 10 PC for internet access. It has nothing to do with your 10G network.

I do this for video editing systems all the time. The TS-1685 is great.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
andyramsey
New here

Post by andyramsey »

Thanks so much for the info, dolby & bob!

I actually found Bob's instructions on Reddit doing a search and, no matter what I tried, the IP address of the 1685 will not update in QFinder. I changed it a dozen times and it still shows the default 169.254... address. So I've changed the IP address of the 10G port to match just to get setup going (12 16TB drives gonna take more than a day to sync) and I'll deal with the IP later I guess if I have trouble with that default.

I'm also getting a "System has detected that your DNS server cannot resolve hosts..." error whenever I log into the web portal but I can't see anything that tells me what to set those at so I just made them match. I'm a networking newb so I guess I've got a lot to learn!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if the 10GbE port has no gateway to the WEB then the DNS names cannot be resolved

you can switch the online checks off via virtual switch settings, then they do not bug you anymore

Return to “Presales”