QGD For Home NAS / Router / Switch / Media Server

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
josepr
New here

QGD For Home NAS / Router / Switch / Media Server

Post by josepr »

Looking at the QGD-1600P and QGD-1602P to fulfill the following:
  • Firewall (PFSENSE VM)
  • Emby Media Server (Container)
  • Unify Controller (For WAPs) (Container)
  • NAS SMB/NFS Shares
  • Active Directory (Windows Server VM)**Maybe/Maybe not**
Looking from people that already have them or that can answer the following:

What are the actual specifications of the PCIe lanes (mechanical and electrical) and if it is low or full profile?
if it is a x4 slot is it open ended?
I want to put a video card for transcoding, something like a Quadro P2200 if full profile or a P1000 if low profile

Throughput of the switch especially between the NAS (shares/media server) to all connected devices on the switch?

Throughput of the switch between the gig ports and the SFP+ ports?
Will LACP L3+L4 (ip+port) be possible especially on the 1602P with the 10G ports?

Using NVME drives as the only storage and using them for the VMs?
Using a tl-r400s for the media/storage and the performance of 4 hdd on a raid10?

Anyone run PFSENSE on then, throughput value for the different models?
Expectations of running a Windows VM on the 1600P vs 1602P as a Domain Controller
Performance of running a media server such as Emby with/without a video card
P3R
Guru

Re: QGD For Home NAS / Router / Switch / Media Server

Post by P3R »

I'm not a user and can't answer any of your questions but here are a few things to think about:
  • Consolidating everything into a single unit make that unit critical. When it fail, literally everything in your network stop working.
  • Rack mount models are typically very noisy, which is often a problem in home environments. I hope you have a sound-proof utility room to place it in.
  • The only model that I think have the CPU performance and RAM support that you want is the QGD-1602P-C3758-16G.
  • Reading the documentation, I can't find any NVMe slots in any of the systems which mean that you need a expansion card for that.
  • Reading the documentation, I can't find anywhere that transcoding hardware-assisted by a video card is supported.
  • Reading the documentation, I only find mentioned that the USB-connected TR-models, including the rack form factor TR-400U are supported. That doesn't mean the TL-R400S won't work, but you probably want to confirm that before buying.
  • RAID 5 offer more usable storage and better sequential performance than RAID 10. Home media/storage usage is typically of a sequential nature. RAID 10 is faster for random access loads, often found in enterprise environments but very rarely in home applications.
This is a nice thread that you probably want to read.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

this is their latest q guardian model
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU3Bvjttjmo

i never used it so i can't say much. i only know this was their latest model for this series.

It's a switch + nas + router (QUWAN) all in one.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
josepr
New here

Post by josepr »

P3R wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:05 pm I'm not a user and can't answer any of your questions but here are a few things to think about:
  • Consolidating everything into a single unit make that unit critical. When it fail, literally everything in your network stop working.
  • Rack mount models are typically very noisy, which is often a problem in home environments. I hope you have a sound-proof utility room to place it in.
  • The only model that I think have the CPU performance and RAM support that you want is the QGD-1602P-C3758-16G.
  • Reading the documentation, I can't find any NVMe slots in any of the systems which mean that you need a expansion card for that.
  • Reading the documentation, I can't find anywhere that transcoding hardware-assisted by a video card is supported.
  • Reading the documentation, I only find mentioned that the USB-connected TR-models, including the rack form factor TR-400U are supported. That doesn't mean the TL-R400S won't work, but you probably want to confirm that before buying.
  • RAID 5 offer more usable storage and better sequential performance than RAID 10. Home media/storage usage is typically of a sequential nature. RAID 10 is faster for random access loads, often found in enterprise environments but very rarely in home applications.
This is a nice thread that you probably want to read.
Noise is not a concern that much it will replace 2 1u appliance a HP DL320e Gen8 V2 and a Aruba S2500 Switch in a small 6u rack, it will be less noise and power and easier to manage and use the HP server for playing around.

I do have a backup router/switch connections in case of failure in the same rack to keep my core network alive.

16G of ram and the 1600P should handle PFSense and the media server with ease, maybe even the DC depending on how loaded it is, but i think the throughput between switch could be better so may choose the 1602P depending on location. (Thinking with a 1600P with a 4bay extension and a 1602P with a 12bay extension)

I see in the documentation that the 1602P have 2 x M.2 SSD Slots.
"The QGD-1602P uses Intel® Atom® C3000 series multi-core 2.2GHz processors, has two SATA drive bays, and provides and two M.2 NVMe SSD slots for SSD caching to increase IOPS performance. Two PCIe Gen3 x2 slots allows users to install 10GbE network cards, QM2 dual-port M.2 SSD/10GbE cards, USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10Gbps) cards, or Wireless Adapters to boost core functionality."
Would need to add the PCIe card for the 1600P, but if it is as the doumentation says a PCIe Gen2 x 2 then it may not be worth it and just using SSDs on the 2 2.5 slots be about the same.
And would hope to use them a raid 1 storage volume for the VMs.

Reason behind the Raid10 is that reading should be x4 and writing x2, plus no parity so less burden on the cpu and ram. It will contain media for the movie server and also a share for documents/backups.

It has two Pcie Slots but here is where i would want some more info to know if it would support the PCIe card that comes with the TL-R400S. According to https://www.qnap.com/en/compatibility-e ... =qgd-1602p it supports it but wanted to see if anyone was using it and what performance they see out of it.
I think if the PCIe accepts the card and it uses regular x86 drivers then it should work with the gpu card.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

josepr wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:55 am I do have a backup router/switch connections in case of failure in the same rack to keep my core network alive.
Excellent!
16G of ram and the 1600P...
16 GB will probably work in a QGD-1600P but only 8 GB is supported by Intel and therefore also Qnap, so keep the original RAM to be able to get support if needed.
I see in the documentation that the 1602P have 2 x M.2 SSD Slots.
I totally missed that. :oops:
Two PCIe Gen3 x2 slots allows users to install...
Yes I see now that it says 2*Gen3 (x2) on the QGD-1602P presentation page but the specifications page say 2*Gen 3 (x4)... :roll:

I would ask Qnap what's correct.
Reason behind the Raid10 is that reading should be x4 and writing x2, plus no parity so less burden on the cpu and ram.
Actual testing in Qnaps have shown that sequential write is 33% faster, even with the mediocre Celeron G550 (Passmark 1295, which is less than half of even the Celeron J4115 in QGD-1600P) The Xeon C3758 in QGD-1602P should be considerably faster.

RAID 10 write slower than RAID 5 sequentially in a Qnap! With 6 disks and more, even RAID 6 write faster than RAID 10.
It will contain media for the movie server and also a share for documents/backups.
Sounds like typical sequential usage to me.
...if it would support the PCIe card that comes with the TL-R400S. According to https://www.qnap.com/en/compatibility-e ... =qgd-1602p it supports it...
Great, i had missed that as well.
...but wanted to see if anyone was using it and what performance they see out of it.
The QGD-1602P is new (the press release was dated 2 days ago) so it's likely not even available to the users of this community for at least several weeks.
I think if the PCIe accepts the card and it uses regular x86 drivers then it should work with the gpu card.
I'm by far not an expert on the subject but I doubt that. Please check it up, don't take it for granted.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Presales”