Help! confused about what QNAP to buy.

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
RaeBush
New here

Help! confused about what QNAP to buy.

Post by RaeBush » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:33 pm

There are so many options for QNAP NAS that I am a bit lost please help!

It is for home use, so probably a 2 bay (prob 2TB and 2TB), I am a photographer (hobbyist) so have a lot of photos to store and I want to be able to point my Lightroom catalog at the NAS so that my photos aren't stored on my mac book pro just my catalog. My husband and I will also use it to back up our macs (Time Machine) and for another layer of back up I will backup the NAS to a cloud solution (maybe ElephantDrive or similar).

I currently use Dropbox for all non photographic documents, will QNAP NAS be able to replace this giving easy access to a folder system seen on my mac, as Dropbox does now?

Does the remote access mean that, as long as I have good internet, I would be able to still access my Lightroom photos from outside the house, not essential bit certainly a selling point.

I am also struggling to find somewhere that I can buy the QNAP NAS with the drives included... or if not included advice as to where to get the best compatible drives from to add to it.

Any help would be appreciated
Rae

dolbyman
Guru

Re: Help! confused about what QNAP to buy.

Post by dolbyman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:32 pm

check the forum regarding lightroom on network storage, there was issues (dont know if they were fixed by adobe)

do not use your NAS as cloud replacement, NEVER expose your NAS to the open internet

RaeBush
New here

Post by RaeBush » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:53 am

dolbyman wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:32 pm
check the forum regarding lightroom on network storage, there was issues (dont know if they were fixed by adobe)

do not use your NAS as cloud replacement, NEVER expose your NAS to the open internet
Ok I will thank you

I'm sorry I don't understand this... I intend to back up my NAS with something like ElephantDrive are you suggesting not to do this or are you refering to me wanting to access it remotely?

Thanks

jaysona
Easy as a breeze

Post by jaysona » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:44 am

RaeBush wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:53 am
I'm sorry I don't understand this... I intend to back up my NAS with something like ElephantDrive are you suggesting not to do this or are you refering to me wanting to access it remotely?

Thanks
Referring to making the QTS Admin webpage and QTS apps accessible to the Internet.

Having the NAS make a call out to the Internet is not too bad, however letting the QNAP (mainly QTS and its associated apps) answer a call from the Internet is not a good idea. QTS has several security vulnerabilities and there are new news stories - every six weeks or so on average - talking about new QNAP malware infecting NAS' that are exposed to the Internet.
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8Gig) / TS-509 Pro x2 / TS-569 Pro
H/W: TS-670 Pro (i7-3770S 16Gig) x2 / TS-853 Pro (8Gig) / TVS-871 Pro (i7-4790S 16Gig)
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 384.19
Router2: Asus RT-AC68U - DD-WRT v3.0-r39960M kongac
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r43028 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2020.7
Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)

RaeBush
New here

Post by RaeBush » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:34 am

Ok thank you for explaining it to me however I'm afraid I still don't understand, and my QNAP has now arrived and I'm concerned about hooking it up to my hone network and what this means.

I am a complete beginner at this stuff and I had planned to just follow the instructions given to me by QNAP is this not a good idea? Will this mean the QNAP is answering a call from the internet? maybe i need to look up a 'dummies guide to' :-)

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:40 am

disable uPnP on your router and don't forward ports to it (NAS) by hand .. then you are pretty much golden

Return to “Presales”