Undecided: 873A Vs h886

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
Arrowy
New here

Undecided: 873A Vs h886

Post by Arrowy »

I need to upgrade my Qnap 531x with all ssd and Raid 5 and I am undecided which one to choose.

Office fileserver with 8-10 users ; critical usage: the machine must be always on during workday .
I do backup on 332x and beyond that I copy every week on an external disk through my pc.
It's about 50 gb of data but made up of mainly small files so it's not a very quick process.

As fa as now everything works fine but I would like to speed up external backup.
I've already tried and returned h973ax because I did not see a significant inmprovement in transferring
speed of files and also because I realised it's better to have expansion slots.
I Transfer through a 10gb nic and a 10 gb netgear Switch

I am also interested in experimenting if I can have benefit from a VM but I have not yet focused
on which kind of usage.

1. On one side 873a is less powerful but more power-saving but I would like not to be kept stuck
with slow operaations if experimenting Vm.

2. On the other side h886 is more power hungry but not all that powerful so if I manage to find
a way that Vm is useful may be it's not powerful enough and I woul have to change Nas anyway .
But perhaps at least I would not be stucked in experimenting slowly

Could the h886 help in gaining speed of transferring a large amount of smal files?

Flawlessly usage comes before budget; that said I am not in any case happy to waste energy nor
to put apart Nas that become obsolete very quickly and reach very swiftly EOL.

Thanks for your answers
Guapo81
Know my way around

Re: Undecided: 873A Vs h886

Post by Guapo81 »

Arrowy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:03 pm 2. On the other side h886 is more power hungry but not all that powerful so if I manage to find
a way that Vm is useful may be it's not powerful enough and I woul have to change Nas anyway .
But perhaps at least I would not be stucked in experimenting slowly

Could the h886 help in gaining speed of transferring a large amount of smal files?
In my opinion this won't help the transfer speeds at all since it's not that processor related / depending.
Transfer speeds depend more on the sort of drives and raid configuration used, next to having good backbone infrastructure and speeds (Router, Switches, internet connection, etc.)

Looking at the past when my TVS-682 was my main NAS, the backup to my old TS-469PRO was just the same as it is now.
Now it's my TS-h886 backing up to my old TVS-682. If anything I would rather say it's marginaly slower then faster, which I'm guessing maybe has to do with the ZFS file system.

Comparing my TS-h886 with my old TVS-682 in general pretty much everything looks a bit slower and more sluggish (unfortunately..)
Next to that the ZFS file system consumes a very large amount of RAM memory in order to have any kind of solid / good performance as it looks now.

In retrospect, if I knew then what I know now, I would not have bought the TS-h886 or at least would not have chosen to run QuTS hero...
Don't know how this system performs with QTS, maybe this could be better performance wise..
QNAP TS-h886-64G 2x Samsung 970PRO NVMe SSD (RAID1, System), 2x Samsung 860 PRO SSD (RAID1, VM) 4x Seagate EXOS X16 16TB (RAID5, Data) - FW: QuTS-hero
QNAP TVS-682-i3-32G 4x HGST HUH728060ALN600 (RAID5, Backup) - FW: QTS
QNAP TVS-463 4x Seagate ST2000VN000 (RAID5, Surveillance, Backup) - FW: QTS
Former units: TS-469Pro, TS-459ProII, TS-269Pro, Qgenie
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Re: Undecided: 873A Vs h886

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

If you are considering the TS-873A for all SSD storage, you could consider the TS-h973AX. It is lower cost and can hold 9 SSDs. It has 10GbE built in as well and it can come with 32GB RAM pe installed.

You can run QTS or QuTS Hero on it. SSD performance tends to be a bit faster on QTS. HDD performance tends to be faster on QuTS Hero as long as it has enough RAM.

CPU power does affect throughput and IOPS. But the CPU on this is a good CPU. But we do have higher-end units that are even faster like the TVS-h1288X.

Return to “Presales”