EOL Products

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
MeatRocket
New here

EOL Products

Post by MeatRocket »

I currently am looking to replace my TVS-863. While looking at the TVS-872 series, I find that the TVS-872N is EOL even though it was released a year after the TVS-872XT. The TVS-872X was released just a few months ago, but with the same 8th generation processors that are in NAS that are being EOL'd.

I'm sure you see what I'm getting at - I don't want to buy a 3 year-old NAS for $2100 just to have it be EOL'd next month. Being that Intel processors are now at generation 11, when can we expect new NAS built around newer CPUs?
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Re: EOL Products

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

What do you want the NAS to do?
TVS-863 is AMD and you could get the newer TS-873A. It is great for most things, but no HDMI or hardware transcoding.
If you want to go higher there is the TVS-h1288X.
I don't have the date for when these NAS will go EOL. But if you have a good NAS and we make it EOL, that means we stop selling it. That does not mean we stop supporting it.
eggberteh
Starting out

Post by eggberteh »

Qnap’s EOL policy on perfectly good hardware is the reason I am going back to building my own NAS with Unraid.

I have invested in a top of the line Qnap NAS twice but no more, my TS-1080 pro will be retired shortly and that’s me done with QNAP.

Even Apple support a device longer than this !
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

unclear what you are talking about..

latest firmware for you NAS is 4.5.4.1741 (brand-new)
eggberteh
Starting out

Post by eggberteh »

I am not trying to come across as unreasonable and understand the economics of planned obsolescence, but still a TS-1080pro was a $3300 NAS so replacing it every six years really stings.

I get most are happy just to replace their NAS on aQNAP's cycle but i personaly cant justify the expense anymore when i can have a more sutainable and upgradable alternative.

I was making a point that Apple are supporting the iphone 6s in IOS-15 over six years later and that was a $649 product.

I do want to say I have been a mostly happy user of QNAP products for about 10 years but its just time to part ways.

I suppose its a case of each to their own.
eggberteh
Starting out

Post by eggberteh »

RandomMen wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:02 pm That rig hit the shelves on august, 2014, so it was supported by qnap for 7 years.
according to this site: https://www.qnap.com/en/product/status? ... 1080%20Pro
your NAS is still active maintained
Yes *From* August 2014 launch but how long did they sell it as a product ? when did I buy it in that cycle ? I am sure it was well over a year possibly even closer to two.

Also correct it is currently supported but I don't believe my $3300 NAS with better specs than a lot of the ones currently on sale will be getting QTS-5.0. unless I am wrong on this ?

If not it boils down to planned obsolescence, its just a bitter pill to swallow on such expensive hardware & the reason I drawer a comparison to apple is I believe them to be on the more ruthless end of the scale when it comes to making money.

I would pay a fee to continue to receive new QTS builds after an initial period to offer a sustainable business model but I cannot deal with another $3k spend for a new QTS build on effectively similar hardware.

Unraid is awesome (in my humble opinion) but isn't free. I have purchased the software and will continue to contribute to its development in whatever way I can.

Having the convenience of something like QNAP with its polished software is nice.. But for me not $550 per year nice (based on a new $3300 NAS every six years)

I wish everyone continuing on the QNAP train a great journey, but I am off at the next stop.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

RandomMen wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:02 pm That rig hit the shelves on august, 2014, so it was supported by qnap for 7 years.
according to this site: https://www.qnap.com/en/product/status? ... 1080%20Pro
your NAS is still active maintained
As said before .. I do not understand what the fuss is about

[QNAP] EOL (QNAP marketing is English challenged) = [other comapny] EOS

Both units in question are in EOS and are still actively supported with no Support End for new firmware..

Yes the Support will probably end sooner than for a currently sold unit, but nothing was announced
eggberteh
Starting out

Post by eggberteh »

Ok so the plot thickens and hopefully I can explain the fuss.

Last year I checked the support status for my TS-1080 and It said 2019-06 was the last date for OS updates and support with security updates until 2022.

Now it seems this has changed and its Fully supported !

I have used the waybackmachine to verify I have not gone mad and below is a link to this info from 23rd October 2020 after support had ended.

https://web.archive.org/web/20201023103 ... ct/eol.php

for a moment I thought I was going insane !

Somehow this feels worse, I have went to the hassle and expense based on information from QNAP that now *seems* to be untrue.

Well I thought I was going mad for a moment.
eggberteh
Starting out

Post by eggberteh »

Ok so after some more digging.

By Jan 15th 2021 QNAP changed their OS support to 2021-04 or (QTS 4.5) as final.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210115222 ... ct/eol.php

and somehow by April 25th it was back to being supported

https://web.archive.org/web/20210425004 ... ct/eol.php

We will see if QTS 5.0 arrives but how do you plan around this ?
eggberteh
Starting out

Post by eggberteh »

The earliest instance I can find of QNAP posting that the TS-1080 was no longer supported after June 2019 was the 01/2019

https://web.archive.org/web/20190121053 ... ct/eol.php

It's nice QNAP have *hopefully* had a change of heart and plan to support expensive hardware a bit longer but Its to late for me now. I have already acted on the information they have previously provided and committed to a replacement.

Good luck to all, I hope QNAP don't end and then un-end your OS updates :cry:

My money is still on QTS 5.0 not coming to the TS-1080 but I live in hope
MeatRocket
New here

Post by MeatRocket »

I bit the bullet and got a TVS-672XT. I'm still apprehensive as the platform is 3 years old and no successor is rumored. My TVS-863 won't be able to run QTS 5 so I needed to replace it with something. I'm not sure if I'll be sticking with QNAP after the NAS is EOL'd but we'll see.

Return to “Presales”