System storage pool configuration

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
Xof999
New here

System storage pool configuration

Post by Xof999 »

I have a question about the system storage pool: From everything I've seen, it completely occupies the drive(s) it is set up on, and they can't be used for anything else. Is that correct?

As a follow-on question, I was going to use the internal M.2 slots for the system storage. If those drives are going to be dedicated to the system pool, it seems as though not going crazy with the total storage in them is reasonable. How big should they be for QuTS? Is 512GB adequate?
casw1000
Getting the hang of things

Re: System storage pool configuration

Post by casw1000 »

Hi, I have the 1288x and before building my system, I read up that the system storage uses the first available drives to create the first storage pool. This is the pool that the system is used as the default application pool. I also checked and that pool can be used like any others so the space is not 'wasted' or lost so to speak. I populated my 1288x with 2x Samsun 970 1TB drives (2.5") and built that as a raid-1 mirror storage pool. Once the system was built, I then added all the other drives and expansion unit to populate the rest of my nas.

Now to answer the second part of your first question. Yes that drive can be used for other things, so by this, I mean additional shared folders can be created

In terms of is 512GB enough, I guess it comes down to how you will use the system and the apps being installed. I think the onboard M.2 would certainly provide the best performing storage for the majority of the apps, but I decided to keep that for my VM's and plex, personal choice of course.

Hope this helps to answer your question.
Colin

edit* I wanted to add an important note. 512GB or larger might be better longer term, as you cannot just replace that storage pool as all the apps are installed there by default. If you decide that you want to replace that pool in the future, you would be looking (i believe) to start the build from scratch, meaning, factory reset, after a backup and then build again. So, keep that in mind when considering the initial sizing.

Return to “Presales”