x51 vs x53 series for a home user upgrade

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
timeislove
Getting the hang of things

x51 vs x53 series for a home user upgrade

Post by timeislove »

Hello,

Thinking of an upgrade for my 453pro which is going to die soon (fan reported insane rpm, no front panel msg, 4 led turn red)

My current setup:

Two storage pool: 2x1T (raid1), 2x3T (raid 1)
Two “thin” logical volumes on top of two storage pools (since the volumes are “thin”, guess not possible to separate one volume from a storage pool”

My usual application:

I did a lot file download. I used eDonkey (better than BT for searching old media files or ebooks) that was why I stuck to use firmware 4.2.x as the newer version does not support eDonkey. Built my photo, video library, loads of personal doc, once a while streaming video to my sharp tv via dlna (servillo)

What I am thinking:

It was said that the relocation from 4 bay to 4 bay is much easier. My budget could afford a 451d2-4G which is around the same price as a 253d-4G.

Checking the CPUs of both 51 and 53, it looks like 53 series has a better cpu(j4125) which is capable of decoding both h264 and h265, which J4025(51 series) is only capable of decoding h264).

However, upgrading to latest firmware 4.5.4 revealed that QNAP nas now require to install CAYIN media player to play back media files (even mp4). The free version could play h264 but playback of h265 required to install a paid version of CAYIN. If I have no plan to pay, should 51 series be fine for video playback and streaming? Iately i also discovered playback on iPhone does not require CAYIN installation, though no on the fly transcoding would be supported (I doubt how well would the cpus support the on the fly transcoding)

So, my decision is between 4 bays and cpu upgrade (2.5gde on 53 series is overkill for my application), or practically it is about possible upgrade to raid5+ and more storage and better media playback performance.

What do you guys think?

Any advice?

Tkyou in advance.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: x51 vs x53 series for a home user upgrade

Post by dolbyman »

Forget the NAS as a player and use it as a NAS...so much better

also look into the 100 Ohm resistor fix for your current NAS before spending more money
timeislove

Post by timeislove »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:37 pm Forget the NAS as a player and use it as a NAS...so much better

also look into the 100 Ohm resistor fix for your current NAS before spending more money
Mind to elaborate more about the 100 ohm solution?
timeislove

Post by timeislove »

RandomMen wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:20 pm Personally i would go for the TS-253D. Equipe it with a 16Gb memorystick and you are all set.
The TS-X53Pro is reaching EOL in about 2 months or so. 4.5.4.XXXX is the last FW for these devices.
Any reason why you prefer 2 bay 53 rather than 4 bay 51? What is the use of 16g stick?

I feel 4.5.4 is much slow, holding up much more memory than 4.2.x and is not capable of playing back media files (required codec removed), hence it is a total step back to me.
Last edited by timeislove on Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron1963
Been there, done that

Post by Ron1963 »

One of several topics about the 100ohm fix here viewtopic.php?f=45&t=135089
1x TS251, 1x TS251D, 1x TS253
timeislove

Post by timeislove »

Is the difference performance in cpus (J4125 vs J4025) more than the bay numbers (2 vs 4)?
Scorpiontrexx
First post

Post by Scorpiontrexx »

What about considering a 473a sticking a gpu card, ie. p400, 1050,
Will this allow me to transcode and play video files on the fly for those that access my video album.
I tested a 453 and it never played back the videos, it always referred me back to transcoding.
So, I thought of getting a 473a and putting a cheap Gpu card, which I would think would be more powerful than the Celeron capability.
But, I think is this really worth it.? Will synology do this job better ?
But then I read there is no HEVC on synology ?
Love to hear your thoughts.
When will I really need transcoding ?
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

If you run Plex media server on the NAS, you don't need a paid version of CAYIN for plex to do transcoding or video streaming. I think that is usually better than using the NAS as a video player.
TS-453D should transcode well with Plex as long as you have a plex pass to enable hardware transcoding. But there are some videos with the kind of subtitles that need transcoding, and those have to be transcoded by the CPU. To TS-453D should be good at transcoding and streaming as a Plex media server as long as you have a plex pass and don't have the kind of subtitles you need to transcode.

Here is a discussion about subtitles.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/ ... plex_when/
scorpiontrex
New here

Post by scorpiontrex »

thank you, I will consider your suggestion. Thnak you,. I am still considering the other option of the 473a with a video card.
I think its a safer and more durable **.

Return to “Presales”