Access NAS via USB where computer considers it a flash drive

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
dalewood
New here

Access NAS via USB where computer considers it a flash drive

Post by dalewood »

I am looking for a network storage device with USB and network connections with the following capabilities:

o I need the ability to plug my computer (or other device) into a USB port of the NAS and the computer would consider it external storage (i.e. a flash drive).

o The computer (or device) would see the NAS storage as an exFAT drive.

o Data on the NAS would also be available via a wired Ethernet network.

Does QNAP have a product?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Access NAS via USB where computer considers it a flash drive

Post by dolbyman »

That would be a DAS not a NAS...the name gives it away

Check the TR002 and TR004
dalewood
New here

Post by dalewood »

Thank you dolbyman for the recommendation.

I looked at the TR002 and TR004 and they do not appear to support a wired Ethernet network (i.e. the NAS portion of the original capabilities needed).

My computer (or device) would record data to the NAS (or DAS) thinking it was USB storage formatted as exFAT. Later, I would access the NAS on the wired Ethernet network to retrieve the data.

The name only gives it away if you know the product features in the first place, hence the presales to gain insight :)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

A Network attached Storage sevice does not work that way (NAS) ..a Direct attached Storage device (DAS) does

so you can either attach your device via lan or.usb ..not both
Kunzite
Know my way around

Post by Kunzite »

The TS-453BT3 seems close - it's a NAS which can also be accessed through Thunderbold/USB-C. But not as an exFAT drive, I'm afraid.
And it seems a bit expensive. The TS-453B was cheaper, but I think it could only be accessed as a DAS through Qfinder Pro.
I don't have any experience with either, and honestly I'd look for alternative solutions.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Thunderbolt is also IP over Thunderbolt...so it's still a NAS...so that fact remains

USB quick access is a network adapter in the QNAP connected via USB on the host machine ...again a NAS
gepardieu
New here

Post by gepardieu »

Hi, the USB Quick Access is a great idea, but I have issues on a now rather old TS-251A. Since it's not the most powerful system, I would like to use it as a USB drive and shut down all functions that are not necessary to run the Quick Access. However, it takes ages to find the USB connection in Qfinder (if at all) and when trying to connect it will not open a connection. I have the current version of Qfinder and the NAS software is also updated recently. The cable is new so should not have any issues. I even shut down all security on the PC to test, but no luck. Any thoughts anyone? I've thought if resetting the whole NAS but would have to do in in a way that the data on non-system partitions is not affected. Is there a way to do that, any hope that it would help?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

try a differen machine ...as said before, usb quick access is just a virtual network connection, so maybe some network issue on your computer ?

Return to “Presales”