TS-453D vs TS-653D versus TS-473A

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
juju-fr
New here

TS-453D vs TS-653D versus TS-473A

Post by juju-fr »

Hello,

I am considering buying my first NAS (in a while - I previously owned an old Synology and Netgear).

My goal would be to use 4 x 4TB or 6x4TB drives in one of the models TS-453D, TS-653-D or TS-473A.

My usage will be a "advanced home media" usage with:
- Backup of multiple computers
- (partial) sync with dropbox
- Large Media storage & management (home photos/videos)
- Media editing (including 4K video)
- Some media streaming

My home is Cat 6A wired so the 2.5/10G options are attractive.

Looking at the specs I see that the 473A is more expensive but more expansion capabilities and slightly better performance.
But maybe those specs are mostly useful for virtualization and other features I am not planning to use.
The 453-653D have a bit lower spec and some expansion.

My questions are:
- What should I consider on the equation between x53D vs 473A?
- What is the interest of the 653D vs 453D, outside of the obvious 6 bays. IS there a better speed, features, raid efficiency with 6 bays vs 4?

Thanks for any advice!

Julien
juju-fr
New here

Re: TS-453D vs TS-653D versus TS-473A

Post by juju-fr »

I thought the title of the Forum is:

Presales
Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.

Any comments on my question above?
Thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

QNAP presales visits only occasionally...due to recent malware stuff probably busy

The questions are pretty basic though...procrssors and bays ...no special sauce
juju-fr
New here

Post by juju-fr »

Thanks @dolbyman for your response.

Basic questions? Well, you need to start somewhere! Basic users will become experts in time :)

There is not much literature to assess the performance for basic tasks on each those NAS and it is not easy to measure the delta performance for basic tasks operations (backup files, ingest images, transcode...) on different NAS. I can see that the 47aA has a faster processor than the 453D, but what is the net effect for daily operations? When you buy a PC there are plethora of benchmarks for graphics/office tasks, I/O...That makes choosing easier. Synology has at least a wizard selection tool that makes recommendation based on usage.

Some of the questions i have and was hoping to get answers include:

- 453 vs 653: Does 6 disks vs 4 make file backup faster? Slower? The raid is more efficient? Less? It is not obvious to me.
- 453 vs 473. What is the effect of the faster processor? Capacity to go to 32GB of RAM is important for which tasks?

Concerning the malware, your comment is even more worrisome than the malware itself. So, if there is a malware the whole company pre-sales, marketing department is too busy to do pre-sales....Scary!

Best,
Julien
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If you NAS is operating in a 1GbE environment, any disk config (single,RAID,etc) will saturate that connection. For faster connection, it depends on disk types (HDD,SSD) model, and config. Te processor of the NAS is a factor as well (all QNAP NAS use software RAID).

As a rule of thumb, yes more spindles usually speed up the RAID, but is the source (your computer) fast enough to send out data ? (is a HDD only?)
Faster processors would influence software RAID throughput, but only if we go beyond 5GbE speeds, under most Celeron units can easily keep up, RAM is not that important for file tasks (on QTS, QuTS is a different story with ZFS)

As far as I can tell, QNAP only has one English social media (forum,reddit,etc) person, so when stuff hits the fan that person might be busy
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

My usage will be a "advanced home media" usage with:
- Backup of multiple computers
- (partial) sync with dropbox
- Large Media storage & management (home photos/videos)
- Media editing (including 4K video)
- Some media streaming
4k media editing, this part i am unsure about. you should ask bob zelin what would meet the requirements for that. however i did find this for you that may shed light on this

Best NAS Storage for Video Editing | What You Need To Know!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipIs2_KJsQc

my previous recommendation was the ts-653d.

But the reason why i now i prefer recommending TS-473A series, is because it has a ryzen cpu AND QUTS hero os (this is openzfs) and has other modern features expected in a nas in this day and age.

Yes a ts-653d could be an option, but why i don't like it, is because it doesn't have a QUTS option. You are stuck on the older QTS which has ext4. It's not bad, and it still works, but i am biased toward zfs for a modern file system that is technically better at perserving data via checksums.

How many bays do you need? more bays mean you can comfortably use lower capacity drives for a total usable space, whereas with fewer bays, you need get much HIGHER capacity drives to get an equal amount of usable space. Are you comfortable paying for higher capacity drives versu many more small capacity drives? You do the math.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
juju-fr
New here

Post by juju-fr »

Thanks for your responses and advice. I agree that for a few more bucks the 473 looks more future proof vs the 453/653, although in that category NAS technology will continue to evolve...So, what is great today will be not so great in 2 years....

I am awaiting answers on photo library in another thread before making a final choice!

Thanks

Julien
Kunzite
Know my way around

Post by Kunzite »

I'm oscillating myself between the 473a and 673a - at some capacities one NAS is more cost effective, at some capacities it's the other way around.
Then I already have 4x4TB drives (one might fail soon, according to the DA Data Analyzer) and I might want to start with these, then upgrade the capacity. But I can't add drives to a ZFS vdev.
Then there are discounts, and everything changes.
Trying to reason about it gives me a headache! :)
So... I wish you good luck.

One thing: you don't plan on doing some Plex w/ hardware transcoding? With the x73a series you need to add a GPU, the processors don't have one integrated (like the cheaper x53D series).
juju-fr
New here

Post by juju-fr »

Hello,

well I found a good deal on the 473A (710Euros or 20% off), so I too the dive :-0
NAS have clearly made some progress since the days of my old ReadyNAS netgear server.
Having some successes and many questions and problems, will continue to read and learn before I go back to community for some help!

Thanks for all your advice.

Julien
eric.vanh
Starting out

Post by eric.vanh »

Did you use the product-comparison on qnap website ?
https://www.qnap.com/en/product/compare ... 53d,ts-673
it's only for the most recent product, unfortunately, so you can't compare and "old-ish" to a new one :(
As I can see from this comparison, the 653 is mainly aimed at use-as-is users, while 672, 673 are more for build-my-own kinda users, with many extension in mind
TS-409 with 4x 750GB disks ... all data lost when the NAS died inexplicably after 2 years.
TS-410 with 4x 1TB Samsung F3, soon to be 4x 2TB HUA5C3020A640 ....
TS-421 with 4x 2 To Hitachi RAID5
TS-439proII with 4x 2To Toshiba RAID5, but it failed on me again ! ...
TS-569pro with 5x 3To, RAID5 but it failed on me, again ...
Next: TS-653D with 6x 4To (128Mo) RAID6 and 20Go RAM (4+16) + 1 6To external Backup
Users: ThinkPad T42 (linux Suse); Thinkpad T61 (Linux Suse); Thinkpad T61p (Linux Kali-WindowsXP); Thinkpad W700 (Hackintosh); MacBookPro 6,1; T440p (Qube-OS with VM usage on the NAS); and some other toys, like a cisco router, an APC' UPS, ...

Return to “Presales”