QNAP NOOB ADVICE PLS TIA

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
diggers456
New here

QNAP NOOB ADVICE PLS TIA

Post by diggers456 »

Hi all,

New to here so hii

Have a question before purchasing a QNAP NAS. First of all I would like a QNAP NAS that can be made wireless as the wifi in my study is really good and I cant run a ethernet cable from my router to my study. I have a amplifi mesh system that gives good coverage. I know I could use powerline adapters which I have used in the past but the speed through the circuit is terrible (hence the mesh system)

I’m looking QNAP TS-832PX 8-Bay NAS Enclosure (4GB RAM) + QNAP QXP-W6-AX200

Preliminary I want to use 2*8tbs in a raid 1 config as a seedbox/plex server. And then another 2*6tbs in a raid 1 config for a music server which would be run within a VM

Will the QNAP TS-832PX 8-Bay NAS Enclosure (4GB RAM) + QNAP QXP-W6-AX200 suffice for these purposes pls?

Thanks in advance
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP NOOB ADVICE PLS TIA

Post by dolbyman »

The ARM based 832PX does not support VMs

Never use Wifi adapters on your NAS (they never work right) if you need wifi use a wifi bridge
diggers456
New here

Post by diggers456 »

hi,

tks for replying. So the QNAP TS-873A would suit my plans better?

The QNAP QXP-W6-AX200 is a Qnap Pcie wifi card. if that is no good then what could be a alterntive pls?

tks
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

873A would work with VMs yes...

and as said already, use a wifi bridge if you need to hook the NAS with wifi
diggers456
New here

Post by diggers456 »

hi,

tks for replying. i was interested in the Qnap NAS's mainly because they had the option to upgrade to wireless with a wireless card. If you think the best bet is to use a wifi bridge then i might as well go with Synology.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Do a quick form search on all the connection and setup issues with the wifi cards and dongles .. not worth the trouble.

You will enough speed and connectivity issues with the NAS on Wifi, you don't need these extra headaches
diggers456
New here

Post by diggers456 »

Hi,

tks again for replying. Im not to au fait with wifi bridging. so... downstairs i have the AmpliFi Instant System (1 router and 1 mesh/extender/access point) if i was to purchase another Amplifi instant router and connect that to the NAS and put into "bridge mode" would that work? Is that effectively what Wifi bridging is?

TIA
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

A wifi bridge would make it transparent for the NAS what connection it is using, for the NAS it's just a network connection (to the bridge)

I normally use a simple Ethernet port equipped range extender, they all have a bridge mode as well, but any device with a bridge mode would work fine

Return to “Presales”