TBS-464 Various questions

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
DiBosco
New here

TBS-464 Various questions

Post by DiBosco »

Folks,

I have a couple of NAS that are getting long in the tooth and would like to get something new and better. I do like the look of TBS-464 and would like to try and ascertain a few things. I want to use it for a one-man business, for daily backs ups for the most part. I could double it up as a media player, but this would mena locating it in a separate place to my office. This of course might not be an issue, but to an extent depends on wake up and sleep methods.

So:

1. How easy is it to wake up and go to sleep? How quickly does it wake up? Can I use the Android app for both things? At the moment one of my NAS has a cron job to get all my mysql data backed up at the same time every day from my Banana pi, but I would like to be able to do a daily back up of my desktop at random times of the day which would necessitate me waking up the NAS at the appropriate time. If it take five minutes to be ready after power up that would be unsuitable for example. Thirty seconds not so bad. My current NAS take quite some time to power up and one doesn't have a sleep mode at all.

2. When it goes to sleep what is powering down? Just the drives?

3. There is a list of compatible M.2 drives. Why are some drives [potentially] not suitable? There are Samsung drives half the price of listed ones, why would they not work? TBH speed isn't the main thing here to a large extent, it's going over 100M Ethernet so a slightly slower M.2 drive ain't going ot be an issue.

4. If I used four drives of 1TB. Could I have 2 x 2 off 1TB RAID 1 setups to give me a total of 2TB of storage? So in other words 1 pair of 1TB drives to give a RAID 1 setup of 1TB and then the same thing again?

5. Is there notification to tell you that a drive has a problem and if there is you can simply swap out the problem drive and it will copy all appropriate data to the new one?

Many thanks.
DiBosco
New here

Re: TBS-464 Various questions

Post by DiBosco »

Thanks for the help. It's made my mind up not to bother with QNAP.

Looking at other posts here complaining about lack of reply from the company also sets alarm bells ringing.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

presales is only infrequently visited by qnap...so if you want to contact QNAP sales, open a ticket

Here is my take:

1. Probably similar bootup time to your old NAS .. my older TBS NAS boots basically at the same speed of my other TS NAS

2.If it takes that long, it's all (disk standby is the holy grail for HDD....and is not really of relevance with SSD)

3. see here
https://www.qnap.com/en/compatibility/? ... tegory=ssd

4. Why would you? with 4 equal size disks, do RAID5 and never forget your external backups!

5. I have the TBS-453DX and a simple hotswap is not possible..the NAS needs to be shutdown and taken apart for a diskswap..havent had to do that yet, so I dont know how easy this works (the rebuild I mean)
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

DiBosco wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:51 pm Folks,

3. There is a list of compatible M.2 drives. Why are some drives [potentially] not suitable? There are Samsung drives half the price of listed ones, why would they not work? TBH speed isn't the main thing here to a large extent, it's going over 100M Ethernet so a slightly slower M.2 drive ain't going ot be an issue.

4. If I used four drives of 1TB. Could I have 2 x 2 off 1TB RAID 1 setups to give me a total of 2TB of storage? So in other words 1 pair of 1TB drives to give a RAID 1 setup of 1TB and then the same thing again?

5. Is there notification to tell you that a drive has a problem and if there is you can simply swap out the problem drive and it will copy all appropriate data to the new one?

Many thanks.
Drives have firmware and some drives don't work for a variety of reasons, including drive firmware.
So is a drive is not on the compatibility list, we can't say if it will work.
We have Samsung Evo and Evo Plus on the compatibility list, so I think there should be some M.2 at a reasonable price you can get.

You can make 2 RAID1 groups. I think RAID 5 will make more sense. Or RAID 10.

You can set Notification center to give notifications if a drive goes bad. We also have a Drive Analyze you can use to try to predict when a drive will fail.
DiBosco
New here

Post by DiBosco »

The issue of drive firmware makes no sense. When you buy an M.2 drive for a motherboard they all work as long as the hardware slot is compatible.

It's the same issue with QNAP and SSDs for other models (I spent ages trawling though 451+ compatibility before I found the TBS-464). Most of the drives that are listed as compatible are already obsolete and it's the same issue with SATA. Makes no sense that some SATA drives wouldn't work, it's the same issue with these as M.2. You dn't have to look at a computer motherboard to check as long as the hardware interface is the same.

Shouldn't be this hard to find suitable drives for a NAS.
W4CHL
Starting out

Post by W4CHL »

There is mention in this forum from last year of a Sleep mode for TBS-464. Lack of a "Sleep" entry make that non-intuitive. I have Wake On LAN enabled, but that seems useless as there is no sleep mode on any menu or option. Neither QFinder on Windows or QManager on Android have Sleep entries, but they do have WOL options for the TBS-464. So after a Shutdown as long as the WOL option is checked in the Power section, the TBS-464 can be awaked by a WOL packet! I had trouble getting this to work on a multiple WiFi enabled setup, had to rearrange the source of WOL packets and the TBS-464 to be on the same subnet, then it does seem to work.
---------------------------------------
M R Smith, @W4CHL, @C3HTech
TS-220, HS-210, TS-453mini, retired TS-209 Pro II & TS-109
Tonido plug + Mediasonic RAID5 array, Pogoplugs + various dual drive arrays
All serving audio + photo enhanced video post-production of church services
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

closed to prevent further necropostings

Return to “Presales”