Diskless

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
hunt_rosie
New here

Diskless

Post by hunt_rosie »

Hi all,

I'm new to all this and don't really understand any tech talk!

I have two hdd that I've been using in a seagate nas. The seagate 'housing' has stopped working, so I now need to buy a new diskless system that I can put my hdd that have data on them, into.
I've tried one and when I connected it to my MacBook, it wanted me to format the hdd to get them to work. As the hdd have data on, I don't want to format them as I will lose the data!

Is there a diskless system I can buy that I can just put one of my hdd into and use with my MacBook?!

Any help on this will be much appreciated!!!
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: Diskless

Post by FSC830 »

Well, without any tech talk really bad to give any hint. The Seagate NAS: how have the disks been configured, as a raid?
If raid, which raid level, raid1/raid0?
How did you access the Seagate, by LAN, by USB?

In a QNAP system you cant put any disk with data and expect to access the data, a QNAP system needs to format the internal disks, there is no way to prevent this.
External disks (non-raid disks) can be attached via USB.

So without any knowledge how the disks have been used in that Seagate device, no one can give an advise.
Best would be, if you can get an identical Seagate housing and plug the disks into it.

BTW: thats the reason, why backups to external media are always mandatory! If the NAS dies, data can not be accessed in an easy way.

Regards
Last edited by FSC830 on Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hunt_rosie
New here

Post by hunt_rosie »

I was using the Seagate NAS as raid. Where each drive was a mirror of the other. I accessed it over LAN.

I unfortunately didn't know this about NAS, but Ive definitely learnt my lesson now.

So basically, unless I can get a diskless seagate system, accessing these drives isn't going to happen?!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

You would have to talk to seagate support about it...But if the same thing happened on a QNAP NAS, your best bet would be another QNAP unit (internal disks are formatted, "incompatible" for regular external reads)
hunt_rosie
New here

Post by hunt_rosie »

Seagate support are useless if Im honest! I've gone round and round in circles with them!
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

hunt_rosie wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:51 pm ...
So basically, unless I can get a diskless seagate system, accessing these drives isn't going to happen?!
To be honest: without knowing this NAS and technology no one can give an answer.
Example:
Was there a special partitioning at disks? (QNAP uses such special partitioning)
Which filesystem was it, NTFS, ext3, ext4, proprietary vendor format?
Any LVM (logical volume manager) layer involved?

At least such questions should be answered from Seagate support or may be in a Seagate user forum.
But may be someone else jumps in who is familiar with Seagate devices.

Good luck,
regards
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Post the Seagate Nas model number might be a good place to start :)

Also, did you troubleshoot the Seagate Nas? Maybe it's just a power supply issue or something relatively easy to fix or bypass. You might be able to get it running long enough to get a backup.

Of it was only 2 disks in a mirror configuration, I'd suggest putting one aside and not messing with it at all until you know more.

Have you tried one of the many Linux (like the boot from USB/image) options to test of it can recognize the drive of one of the windows Linux file system add-ons?
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
hunt_rosie
New here

Post by hunt_rosie »

Thank you for your replies.

So its a 2 bay nashttps://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/produ ... 1405gb.pdf

I did troubleshoot it and spoke to their support, who don't make much sense!
The status light on the front was flashing red, which they told me the disk were failing or about to fail. It only did this once I had unplugged it all and tried to start again.

My LAN was not picking the drive up, I even tried a different ethernet cable.

Shat is a Linux option? I'm on a MacBook, would this still be an option?
hunt_rosie
New here

Post by hunt_rosie »

The main issue came when seagate discontinued the app I was using to access the drives. Because I updated my laptop (and my old one completely doesn't work) I couldn't reinstall the app on it. I contacted their support and was told it no longer works.

I could then not get my drive to communicate with my network to access it any other way. The seagate support kept telling me to find it's IP address, which I couldn't do as it wasn't being picked up by my LAN.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

I am not familiar with any IOS/Apple device (including Macbooks), but why is there an app needed for accessing the drives? :S
Are the drives encrypted in some way?
Which type of protocol was used, nfs, SMB (CIFS), AFP?

How are the devices connected? By a switch/router/direct?

For an OS like Windows there are programs availabl like "Angy IP Scanner" which allows to detect devices in your LAN by using the ping command.
I am rather sure, there will be a similar software for Macs available, so if the NAS is still present and not defective, it should be found in LAN.

Anyhow, at least some basic network skills are needed.

Regards
hunt_rosie
New here

Post by hunt_rosie »

That's the only way I knew of to access the drives. I just assumed it was normal!?

No not encrypted.

Don't know about the protocol..

They were connected by the router.
Can they be connected another way?

I am now not getting the red flashing status light. So I have some hope.

Thanks.
ritters
Know my way around

Post by ritters »

FSC830 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:48 pm I am not familiar with any IOS/Apple device (including Macbooks), but why is there an app needed for accessing the drives? :S
MacOS and IOS can access NAS' without any extra software.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

hunt_rosie wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:15 pm ...
They were connected by the router.
Can they be connected another way?
Sure they connect without a special software (as @ritters wrote, that is, why I am wondering about this note).
As said, I am not familiar with any Apple device, but I am sure there is a kind of network explorer, file explorer, whatever is in OS, thats allows to connect to NAS shares (no matter, which protocol).

If the devices are connected by router: in most routers you have a GUI to lookup which devices are connected and wit which IP.
So you can may be find the IP of NAS in router?
Refer to router manual.

Regards

Return to “Presales”