Multiple monitors with VM

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
Wizard6646
New here

Multiple monitors with VM

Post by Wizard6646 »

I am looking to purchase a QNAP (either the TVS-h874 or the TVS-h1688) and want to use it as my main PC by using a Windows VM. I have 2 monitors that have HDMI and DisplayPort. What I would like to do is use the HDMI port to access QTS directly and use a Thunderbolt port to a Thunderbolt Dock for the monitors. Once I launch the VM just switch to DP and have 2 monitors. I think I could use a graphics card to do this but I want to use the graphics card for PLEX transcoding and I wont be gaming on the VM. Can I passthrough the Thunderbolt ports to the VM so this would work? If not, could I use one of the USB-C ports to do the same thing?

I have never used a NAS before and am simply in the research phase of purchase. Please excuse and ignorant or inappropriate use of terms or acronyms. Thank you for your help.
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Re: Multiple monitors with VM

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

My understanding is the Thunderbolt doc connecting to the NAS through thunderbolt won't let you view HDMI.
Thunderbolt on our NAS is for Networking and won't forward the HDMI.

TVS-h1688X or TVS-h874 have intel QuiskSync for hardware transcoding. 4K should not be a problem even if you don't use the GPU for Plex.

But I would also like to mention that if you put a GPU in QTS mode, you can use it for HD station to attach a monitor and access QTS and at the same time you can use it for apps and containers for things like Plex transcoding.
It is important to choose a GPU compatible for Hardware Transcoding and a 1050 or better should be needed to be helpful in 4K transcoding.

I don't think you will need a GPU for Plex. But you should be able to use a GPU both for Plex transcoding and HD station at the same time.
Wizard6646
New here

Post by Wizard6646 »

Would the VM be able to see a USB C Dock connected to a USB C Port?
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

It is hard to say for sure if VM would see the USB Dock.
We do have the ability put a USB card in a PCIE slot and pass it to a VM.
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... on-station

But that would take a PCIe slot. I don't know if a hub would work.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I just did a quick google and it seems USB-C to HDMI is based on an MHL bridge mode, compatible with the USB-C pinout that these adapters can negotiate, if this bridge is missing or any USB-C adapter card or hub is used..this MHL bridge to the GPU is missing and they will not output anything.

Return to “Presales”