QTS vs QTS HERO as Vmware Storage

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
cortipi
New here

QTS vs QTS HERO as Vmware Storage

Post by cortipi »

Hi, I have a new TS-h1866XU-RP R2.
My question is : QTS or QTS-hero for use as ISCSI 10Gb storage for 2 esxi 7.03 server ?

I have 6 6TB disks and 5 2 tb ssd disks.
With QTS i can use Qtier .
What is better in a vmware enviroment ?

Thanks a lot
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QTS vs QTS HERO as Vmware Storage

Post by dolbyman »

The more disks the better..but with QuTS you cannot add more disks to the same volume/pool

So if you cannot or want not start with more disks for more iops, best to go with QTS

Best for VM Storage would be pure SSD anyways..no cache or tier can make up for that.
cortipi
New here

Post by cortipi »

Thanks and this is clear.
Not having the possibility to have a full ssd nas my question is if is better to stay on QTS and QTIER or use QTS Hero with SSD cache.
In esxi i need to see VMFS 6 storage.

Thanks a lot
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I understood what you meant and my answer was:go with more spinning disks abd QTS (as you cannot add more disks to QuTS)
cortipi
New here

Post by cortipi »

Thanks.
I will go , in this case to QTS.
But , for me, in not clear (and I d0n't find any info) what is, in term of performance, the difference beetween a Quts nas and a QTS in vmware esxi enviroment.
In a TS-h1866XU-RP R2 I can have 12 spinning disk and 6 SSD for examble 12 6TB spinning disks and 6 2TB SSD disks (all Seagate Ironwolf).
In this case do you prefer QTS with QTIER or QuTS wit a slow volume with spinning disks and a fast one with SSD ?

Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

In my NAS I tend to use SSD storage for VM's .. it's hands down better than to hope that cache and tier do their job right (there is a long thread here discussing shortcommings and quirks of fb flashcache and QNAPs implementation of it)

But if you are undecided and have a bit of time for testing..why not try it ?

QTS plain HDD vs cache vs. Tier
QuTS plain HDD vs cache

With aritifial benchmarks or some small vm images it should be a quick test
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

cortipi wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:41 pm Thanks.

But , for me, in not clear (and I d0n't find any info) what is, in term of performance, the difference beetween a Quts nas and a QTS in vmware esxi enviroment.
Thanks
To compare the performance of QTS vs QuTS Hero, I would say it like this.
QuTS Hero tends to perform better with more RAID groups because it natively writes to all the RAID groups in the pool at the same time. So for the larger pools with NAS + expansion, Hero performs very well.
Hero also performs especially well with RAID 10 because RAID 10 is made up of multiple RAID1 groups and Hero performs well with lots of RAID groups to read from and write to at the same time.
Hero is great at using RAM ARC cache to accelerate reads. So Hero units with lots of RAM perform well. This can be helpful in VMware where the RAM cache helps get more IOPS.

But QTS usually has better SSD cache performance than QuTS Hero.

Hero has write Coalescing so random write performance should be improved with this, and Hero can use ZIL to help Synchronous writes happen faster.
QTS has the ability to use Write Cache which can accelerate Writes as well. But write cache can be dangerous, while ZIL + write coalescing is much safer.

Hero is very safety-oriented so number one QuTS Hero is about data safety with Copy on Write and data self healing and safer ways ot accelerate performance.
123pla
New here

Post by 123pla »

cortipi wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:41 pm Thanks.
I will go , in this case to QTS.
In a TS-h1866XU-RP R2 I can have 12 spinning disk and 6 SSD for examble 12 6TB spinning disks and 6 2TB SSD disks (all Seagate Ironwolf).
In this case do you prefer QTS with QTIER or QuTS wit a slow volume with spinning disks and a fast one with SSD ?

Thanks
Hi,
what is your final configuration? Are you satisfied with your decision?

Return to “Presales”