Looking to upgrade from TS-451+

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
mandolin65
New here

Looking to upgrade from TS-451+

Post by mandolin65 »

I have used a TS-451+ with 8GB and 4 WD Red 4TB/5400 SATAs using RAID 5 for years as:

1) file backup storage
2) media server with Plex
3) a bunch of other docker containers
4) GitHub repository
5) sometimes for some other development projects

We recently had to add a security camera to our house and I am using Frigate/MQTT/Home Assistant now. I have Frigate setup to record video/audio/snapshots only when there are certain detected objects (people, cars, and "cats" aka skunks, which the the dog and we humans hate). Between the camera running and watching/possibly recording, the CPU is getting "pegged" often while we are watching Plex at night, so, it is time to get a new NAS.

I may employ a "hybrid" usage of the 2 NAS'es for now, but eventually will run everything off the new NAS and just keep the TS-451+ for some backups.

Requirements:

1) 4 bays (really don't need more)
2) at least 8 GB RAM to start
3) Coral
a) M.2 Accelerator A+E key
or
b) M.2 Accelerator B+M key
4) compatible BlueTooth adapter (getting into Home Assistant automation)
5) 4 Drives

Usage:
1) Main Docker Containers:
a) Plex Media Server
b) MQTT
c) Frigate
d) Home Assistant
2) Plex Media Server and 4K with normally 1 TV at a time
3) ReoLink 4K TrackMix camera, still just recording video/audio/snapshots when there are "unidentified" objects

I am also granting my husband's wish to add local TV channels by running a SiliconDust Flex DVR with attached antenna through the NAS to provide service throughout the house/yard. I do not think this should impact the NAS much, but I am a SW techie, not really HW/network.

It looks like I need to chose from either the TVS-hx74 or TS-x64 families due to the Coral need with Frigate (detection).

So, here are my questions:

1) Which "family" is best - TS-x64 (Celeron® N5095 maxed at 8GB) OR TVS-hx74(Pentium® Gold G7400 or Intel® Core™ i5 "maxable" to 64GB)?
2) If TVS-hx74, will the TVS-h474-PT-8G be sufficient or should I really go with TVS-h674-i3-16G?
3) If you recommend the pricier TVS-h674-i3-16G, I should be able to run it with just 4 drives - right?
4) Which hard drives would be best SSDs, SATAs, or hybrids?
5) Do I need anything for SSD Cache Acceleration Support?
6) Which type of drives are people getting better performance reliability with - Seagate Iron Wolf, WD Red Plus or some other drive?

I am trying to plan an investment for years, not just to save money, but my time.

If anyone has other recommendations for the best QNAP NAS, I would appreciate it. I really do not want to build something myself, as I have too many projects and I do not want to consider other companies (keeping the 451+ and have already experienced Synology before migrating to QNAP.

Thanks
Marissa
tribunal3117
Getting the hang of things

Re: Looking to upgrade from TS-451+

Post by tribunal3117 »

Hi Marissa,

I purchased a TVS-h874u about a month ago and I love the thing. Coincidentally I was on a TS-851 for the past 9 years. The new one has an i5 class processor in it, and 32GB of memory. Where the 851 had its CPU pegged regularly while running dedup operations for my cloud backup service, this one barely uses more than 10% at any given time. I put 8x4TB Iron Wolf Pro 7200 rpm HDDs (RAID-Z2) in it, along with 2x1TB WD Black SSDs (RAID 1). I used cache acceleration before, but do not on this model. Here are my uses.
- family file storage (documents, photos, music)
- Local video streaming (just a bunch of Kodis/RPis around the house)
- vmware backend storage (iSCSI)

This thing is an absolute beast and I can easily recommend it.

1) Definitely the Core i5 is the way to go if you can spring for it, but I wouldn't pop for the 64MB just yet.
2) See #1
3) Yes, but if you go with QuTS (which I highly recommend for a variety of reasons), you'll want to max out your drives.
Can I add an individual disk to expand my storage pool in QuTS Hero, like QTS?
Last modified date: 2022-06-24

A: No. In QuTS Hero, it does not support expanding the storage pool by adding an individual disk.
You can refer to the comparison table below for more details of the pool expansion supports between QuTS Hero and QTS.
4) Both. HDDs in one pool for files you plan to write once with few edits, and then SSDs in another pool for files that will get a lot of random I/O.
5) I don't think so, if you go with the above configuration. We scan forward and back in videos and I can't tell any difference from when I used caching on the 851.
6) I asked a bunch of people about this over the past year when I as doing my research and the responses I got were that both Seagate and WD Red are just fine. I popped for the Iron Wolf Pros because they weren't that much more expensive and the 5-year warranty is very nice.

I also went with RAIDZ2 so I can lose 2 drives without data loss. I have backups, of course, but a restore is an inconvenience. So I want with, presumably, tougher drives greater redundancy. I figure if I lose 1, I can get it replaces quick enough, and I've still got 1 to spare should a second one die during rebuild.

Hope any of that helps. I'll answer any follow-ups you might have if I'm able.

Cheers!

Return to “Presales”