what NAS is usefull for Moodle

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
Pitufo2002
Starting out

what NAS is usefull for Moodle

Post by Pitufo2002 »

Hello

I want to implement a offline( without internet) learning platform for schools in rural areas, using Moodle, the platform should be installed on a local server.

According to the Moodle website recommendations, the server should have at least 4 cores and 1 GB of RAM for every 50 students connected simultaneously, they also advise to use a web server and another one for the database.

What model of NAS could I use for this application ?

Best regards
P3R
Guru

Re: what NAS is usefull for Moodle

Post by P3R »

This is a user community forum so if you haven't done so already I would recommend that you also contact Qnap sales in your region. You can find their contact information in this link.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Pitufo2002
Starting out

Post by Pitufo2002 »

I understand.

Thank you for your recommendation
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

Pitufo2002 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:00 pm the server should have at least 4 cores and 1 GB of RAM for every 50 students connected simultaneously,
How many students will connect simultaneously?
TS-464-8G is a good unit. Depending on how many people connect at once, it might be a good option.
Pitufo2002
Starting out

Post by Pitufo2002 »

Thank you for your reply

In the worst case scenario, no more than 30 students could be connected simultaneously, the contents could be from windows office files, PDF, videos (720p), photos, etc.

Initially, the most important thing is to know if it is possible to install and run Moodle on any of the QNAP NAS models.

Regards
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

Pitufo2002 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:55 pm
Initially, the most important thing is to know if it is possible to install and run Moodle on any of the QNAP NAS models.

Regards
Though I don't see this on the official app center. I do see this.
https://www.myqnap.org/product/moodle-apache80/
viewtopic.php?t=169457&p=838409
Pitufo2002
Starting out

Post by Pitufo2002 »

I think it would be better to look for more alternatives before making a decision, as long as the budget allows it.
Moodle recommends using a WEB server and another one for the database, that is, the cost of the implementation will be double.
Best Regards

Return to “Presales”