1288x and a Backup Unit

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
Superscan
Starting out

1288x and a Backup Unit

Post by Superscan »

Hi-

I’m primarily in Audio Production and deal with multiple tiers of storage:

4TB Raid 1 array (local) -2300Mb/s
~ 2TB of DaVinci Resolve 4k video (usually one editor but max of two)
~2TB of audio program instruments that benefit from as much I/o as possible. Performance is fine at the moment

~10TB library of mostly worm files. They are currently handled on an external unit of my main computer getting 1200 Mb/s throughput using a RAID0 array. They are backed up to my NAS and I also have physical or download media to recover from.

~8TB on Synology Primary NAS data on a 1GB connected link
~16TB on Synology Backup NAS on 1GB connected

My thoughts are to either go with:
A 1288x 8 drives raid 6/z2, either two Nvme boot or SSD.
Or
A i5 874 with 10GB, two Nvme boot.

From what I gather if I’d be able to combine the Video Editing, 10 Tb of Worm data and eliminate my Primary NAS with either unit. I’m unsure of any benefit for using the extra Sata in the 1288. I’m certainly sure I’d never hit 2300+ Mb/s performance in that form factor.

As for a backup unit…
I have two 3.8TB u.2 drives unused from a different project but the only QNAP under 5k that uses them is the ts-h973ax. My other issue is my backups are taking long and my recovery is also painfully long if needed over 1GB. So my second question is would the ts-h973ax make a good backup nas or what would be a good candidate?

Many thanks.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: 1288x and a Backup Unit

Post by dolbyman »

I ppsted storage benchmarks of my 1288X a couple if times, a VERY capable unit

viewtopic.php?f=180&t=169738&p=839976&p839976#p839976

If you use 2 or 4 2.5Inch SATA as your system pool, you don't even have to touch the NVMe (makes maintenance easier)

I use 4xSATA SSD for my VM storage and the 2x NVMe for system (for a HA unit probably the wrong choice)
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

TVS-h1288X configuration for video editing.
Install two 500 Gig SSD's in 2 of the SSD slots. This becomes storage Pool 1, RAID 1 configuration. This is where QuTS lives and nothing else.
Install eight matching 7200 RPM SATA drives, RAID 6 configuration. This is Storage Pool 2. This is where all your media goes.
When you create your shared folders, you do not need to make them 4TB, 10TB, etc. You create thin provisioned volumes (in Shared Folders), and just click on Set to Max Capacity.
These will dynamically expand and contract as you add or delete meda from them. So you can have your Pro Tools shared folders, Resolve shared folders, etc. All your client computers should have a 10G ethernet port, and they should all connect to a common isolated 10G switch, like the QNAP QSW-M1208-8C. Your TVS-h1288X 10G port connects to this as well.

For your backup system, get a TVS-h874 with a 10G card. You don't get 2300 MB/sec with any of these systems - 10G theoretical speed is 1250 MB/sec, and even if you installed a 25G card, eight 7200 RPM SATA drives cannot get 2300 MB/sec - and you don't need it for video editing (Resolve, etc.).

Forget the U.2 NVMe drives - this is for QNAP flash products like the TS-h1290FX. I hate the TS-h973ax, but with that said - if you have 100 TB of storage in the TVS-h1288X, the only way you are going to back up 100 TB of data, is with another NAS that has the same size drives.

Don't overthink this. It's pretty straight forward.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Superscan
Starting out

Post by Superscan »

Perfect! Thank you both. How much memory do you recommend in the 1288x? I’m either going with 8 of the 14 or 16 TB drives in the spinning pool.

And yes Bob you nailed it. I’m an overthinker by nature. Doesn’t help I was paid for years to do so. :|
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I put 32GB extra in mine for a total of 48GB..works fine so far
Superscan
Starting out

Post by Superscan »

Thanks! Are there memory options other than a Qnap branded that are known to work / supported?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Have you tried the forum search?

I added two 16GB ECC sticks from the 1288X RAM topic
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi Superscan -
I have done a couple of thousand QNAP's - so I "think that I know everything" - well I don't.
I just did a new QNAP TVS-h1688X with drives that were not on the QNAP Compatibility list, and guess what - it didn't work, and the customer had to
send back all the drives. So in the process of saving a couple of bucks for "third party RAM" - you are now opening up a Pandora's box of incompatible nightmare, and
QNAP won't help you. Just pick RAM off the compatibility list, and you will have no issues.
Bob
Superscan
Starting out

Post by Superscan »

Thanks Bob. For 8 18Gb drives how much memory do you recommend? I’m not planning on using de-duplication.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

16 Gig RAM is plenty for your application - it's what comes with the TVS-h1288X.
bob
Superscan
Starting out

Post by Superscan »

Thank you. I've just completed the rsync copy from my primary data on Synology over to the 1288. I've been extremely impressed thus far with this unit.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

glad it worked. Just remember - Synology makes great equipment. QNAP makes great equipment. Asustor makes great equipment. And all three make some crappy products,
but ALL OF THEM require knowledge on how to set them up properly, and use them properly. When you see forum posts that say "I just bought this XYZ, and it is the WORST PIECE of junk
in the world, and this company SUXYS" (I just saw a review like this for a QNAP TVS-h1688X on the B&H Photo website) - remember - these people are morons. They have never studied the product, they don't know technology, they can't be bothered - they want everything to be easy, and when it's not easy, and it doesn't work they way that they fantasized about - they just complain.

There will always be idiots out there. I am glad you are not one of them. The TVS-h1288X is great.

Bob Zelin
Superscan
Starting out

Post by Superscan »

100% Bob! Having folks like yourself and Dolbyman helping us out makes a BIG difference as well. For the record, i've had no issues with Synology and have been a customer since 2013 growing along the way. For me and my needs, being required to buy their exclusive drives on the bigger units lost a very loyal customer. As you know these larger bay units are not cheap and at this level you're not buying just one. Thus the title of this thread.

All the best.

-Brian

Return to “Presales”