GPU passthru and hardware transcoding for TVS-h1688x

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
nibbles
Getting the hang of things

GPU passthru and hardware transcoding for TVS-h1688x

Post by nibbles »

As I'm seeing mixed info on this when considering the TVS-h1288x vs the 1688x.
Both have similar specs except that the mainboard is not the same between the 2 models.

Which leads to asking if anyone is able to confirm the ability for GPU passthru when running VM's in Virtualization Station.
Same goes with hardware transcoding as I've read mixed information that 1288 is able to but not the 1688.
And what's further interesting if you speak with the support folks at QNAP same thing happens in that some say yes and others are unsure and would get back to me yet not heard anything.

Lastly, I know QNAP has a list which was considered tested and certain models which offer transcoding but I'm aware there's some not on this list which seems to also work and would love you hear from anyone who's tested card which are not listed on their site.

Thanks for feedback.
Nibbles.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: GPU passthru and hardware transcoding for TVS-h1688x

Post by dolbyman »

1288x and 1688x just differ in hdd trays..otherwise all the same

integrated gpu is enough for my transcoding needs (supports plex transcoding even with HDR tonemapping in hardware..all I need)
nibbles
Getting the hang of things

Post by nibbles »

Thanks dolby. Interesting as discussions from QNAP folks were also specs are similar, mainboard is different (when support tech inquired). I know we could perhaps some diagnostic tools under shell prompt to see for comparison :-). Which model are you running?

Nibbles
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I have a 1288X
thobel
Starting out

Post by thobel »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:02 pm 1288x and 1688x just differ in hdd trays..otherwise all the same

integrated gpu is enough for my transcoding needs (supports plex transcoding even with HDR tonemapping in hardware..all I need)
How did you configure gpu transcoding for plex with intergrated gpu?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

just enabled it..nothing else to do (besides having a plex pass)
thobel
Starting out

Post by thobel »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:27 pm just enabled it..nothing else to do (besides having a plex pass)
I mean with QNAP did you have to enable it?
thobel
Starting out

Post by thobel »

I have another unit TS-1685 and under hardware I see my add on gpu but I don't see anything in the same spot for the 1688x
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

what is the goal?

iGPU or card
Plex native or virtual (container/VM)
Sevenfeet
Starting out

Post by Sevenfeet »

Reopening this thread to add some experience on this. I bought a RTX 3060 on eBay to put in my 1688x, mainly for a project I'm doing for a friend where I will need a GPU that can run some specific game simulators so I can do some programming for them. The 3060 is not a full length card which is good since its form factor worked well for the limited space for the card. I also thought that the power consumption was probably the most that the power supply could stand (which is why i didn't go for a 3060 Ti or a 3070). So far, the card has worked well but it has taught me that there are some stability issues with it in Windows, and I think the problem gets back to the Red Hat Virtuo drivers which is supposed to abstract the hard disk and network drivers for better performance. The virtual machine running Windows 10 tends to lock up if you depend on these drivers instead of asking the VM to emulate a real piece of silicon. If you use the Virtio drivers with a Linux VM, it's rock solid stable, which isn't a surprise since the Windows drivers are ported from Linux.

I've also noticed small problems like an optical mouse from Toshiba that I am using for the VM connected directly to the 1688x sometimes disconnects on its own and there is no way for the VM to reclaim the device without shutting down the VM and adding the USB device all over again. I think I need a powered USB hub to keep this from happening going further.

The biggest operational issue I see with this card is that it can really only be assigned to one thing at a time, be it a specific VM, Container Station or "QTS Mode". QTS Mode isn't documented well as to what it is or what its supposed to be for but basically it seems to be running the card with HybridStation. I have three VMs that could use the card, but if I want to change the focus, I literally have to manually close the VMs and change the configuration. I would hope there is a better, more elegant solution.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I have been using a Win11 VM for months on my 1288X and it has been rock solid (no crashes) (connection via RDP)

Only thing I do not do is use a passdown graphics card, so if that makes it unstable then you have the culprit
iiseppi
Starting out

Post by iiseppi »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:13 am I have been using a Win11 VM for months on my 1288X and it has been rock solid (no crashes) (connection via RDP)

Only thing I do not do is use a passdown graphics card, so if that makes it unstable then you have the culprit
Can you share your VM settings from Virtualization station?
I cannot get my windows vm start when assigned RTX 2070 card to it.
But with Debian linux, it is working great!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

As said..I do not use a passthrough graphics card
iiseppi
Starting out

Post by iiseppi »

Yes. I should buy new glasses.
🤦🏼‍♂️

Return to “Presales”