To upgrade or not?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
azulysuman@gmail.com
New here

To upgrade or not?

Post by azulysuman@gmail.com »

I am running a TS 419 P II
It has EOL since 12.2020 however I still get software patches fixes and upgrades.

It is running 2 disks for striping and 2 for mirroring.

Technically it has no problems. I want to upgrade but I dont feel it is ncessary as it is working fine.
What is the worst thing that can happen?

If I do upgrade any suggestions to which model? I have no special requirements the only thing i wish was the disks were a bit cooler and not so closely packed.
I have been adviced to look at QN-TVS-H474-PT-8G here in Singapore. Is that the optimal model? I only need to backup and store data (pictures / files) no special requirements for streaming or other stuff.

Thanks in advance for any advice to noob level 0 here!
azulysuman@gmail.com
New here

Re: To upgrade or not?

Sounds like a more affordable option i guess. Will check it out.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Do not migrate a 13 year old CAT1 unit, into a new CAT2 unit

Best case scenario you willl have a crippled legacy volume (QTS)
Worst case scenario all drives with data will be erased (QuTS)

Get new disks for the New NAS, setup the new NAS from scratch and copy the data over. Use the ols NAS for regular backups

Btw..I guess you run RAID10 on that old NAS? no need to describe the function, just the level is fine
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

azulysuman@gmail.com wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:10 pm Technically it has no problems. I want to upgrade but I dont feel it is ncessary as it is working fine.
If it runs fine and meets all your capacity and performance requirements, they why spend the money to "upgrade"? You may not gain anything depending on what you are using.

Worst that can happen? Depends. Do you have a proper backup solution in place? If not, that should be your priority, not upgrading. Are you protected against unintentional deletion, drive failure, NAS failure, malware, fire, theft, flood, power loss,.....
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
azulysuman@gmail.com
New here

That was another question at the back of my head and thanks for that proactively answered!

I have an external backup, just need to make sure that the backup integrity is good.
dolbyman wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:09 pm Do not migrate a 13 year old CAT1 unit, into a new CAT2 unit

Get new disks for the New NAS, setup the new NAS from scratch and copy the data over. Use the ols NAS for regular backups

Btw..I guess you run RAID10 on that old NAS? no need to describe the function, just the level is fine
azulysuman@gmail.com
New here

Now thats a whole new perspective, infact I was exactly thinking the same about the "upgrade", needed some confidence to make a sane decision.

unintentional deletion - Not quite sure, could you please enlighten me on this? I am assuming you are not talking about enabling the NAS recycle bin.

drive failure - yes
NAS failure - partially
malware - not really
fire, theft , flood - Yes

power loss - I think it is less of a concern where I stay unless there is a different perspective.
dosborne wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:17 am
azulysuman@gmail.com wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:10 pm Technically it has no problems. I want to upgrade but I dont feel it is ncessary as it is working fine.
If it runs fine and meets all your capacity and performance requirements, they why spend the money to "upgrade"? You may not gain anything depending on what you are using.

Worst that can happen? Depends. Do you have a proper backup solution in place? If not, that should be your priority, not upgrading. Are you protected against unintentional deletion, drive failure, NAS failure, malware, fire, theft, flood, power loss,.....
azulysuman@gmail.com
New here

Yes raid 10 on it now ..
dolbyman wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:09 pm Do not migrate a 13 year old CAT1 unit, into a new CAT2 unit

Return to “Presales”