TVS-671-PT-4G: Dual-core Intel G3250 upgrade to i7

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
OneCD
Guru

Re: TVS-671-PT-4G: Dual-core Intel G3250 upgrade to i7

Post by OneCD »

razor237 wrote:But I noticed a port on the motherboard that looked like mini display port anyone know what that port is for ?
Found a nice medium-res image here, that seems to show this connector labeled as "CPU DDID" - but I've had no success in working out what that actually means. :S

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

internal thunderbolt ?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

That's another possibility. But seems there's no ref to Thunderbolt in the specs for the TVS-471.

Also found one post where the poster also thought it was a miniDP (which is also not mentioned in the specs).

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
razor237
New here

Post by razor237 »

I noticed while looking in the bios there is reference to thunder bolt in there . So maybe it is thunder bolt, there are a few options , I should have taken a picture of it lol.
seghekl
New here

Post by seghekl »

I did the upgrade for my TVS-471 from an i3 to an i7-4790S over the weekend and I would like to share my experiences with you all.

There is a lot of info available on these boards and I think I've pretty much been reading it all. You can also search on youtube for some videos on how to disassemble the TVS and this also comes highly recommendable.

Bottom-line:

1/ The whole process took me 90 minutes
2/ Apply the cooling past on the processor as equal as possible; This IS important since the i7 does get over 72C when over full load and with the smart cooling setting so I recommend to put the cooling at medium speed manually and apply the cooling paste evenly. My score is 65C at full load when transcoding 3 sessions of 4K media transcoding.
3/ It is clear, after the upgrade, that the NAS deserves an i7 processor. EVERYTHING runs so much more smoothly so go and get the i7-4790S processor ASAP.

Hope this helps :)
lewis.brooks
Getting the hang of things

Post by lewis.brooks »

Hi all,

So I brought the Noctua NF-F12 PWM for my 471 but I can only install it so the air is ** into the heatsink rather than exhaust the air out of the case, simply because if I place it so it ** the air out the blades scrape against the heatsink.

How have other dealt with this?
lewis.brooks

Post by lewis.brooks »

fixed it, tightened a few screws and it now fits perfectly
noodles_gb

Post by noodles_gb »

I have a TVS 671 and I just put in an i7 4790s. The bios detects the CPU but the systems gets as far as 'booting the kernel', appears to hang and then reboots. It does this with the disks in or out. I've tried the reset button on the back. Short of stripping it and putting in my old i3 does anyone have any suggestions?
noodles_gb

Post by noodles_gb »

Just to update, I went into the BIOS and enabled extended test, the unit would reboot at 32% when checking RAM. So I removed one module and it hung again on booting the kernel. I tried the other module and it failed at 32%. I then tried the firmware recovery via USB and just after it booted, it would panic and put a load of CPU errors on screen. I then put in an old 2GB module and the same thing.

Suspecting the new CPU, I put the old one back in but the unit would show hardware error. I then put the i7 back in, same issues as above. I was just about to give up all hope, so decided I would contact Amazon to send it back, prior to doing so trying the old CPU one last time and hurray! It's booted.

I suspect the second hand and fully tested i7 I bought off eBay is faulty, so I'm going to return that and perhaps bite the bullet and order a new one.
occidentalmachine
New here

Re: TVS-671-PT-4G: upgraded to i7-4765T

Post by occidentalmachine »

symbiosis wrote:Hi,

I've decided to go with i7-4765T (quad-core, 35W) CPU for my TVS-671-PT-4G, got it from ebay for $250.

Got 16GB memory as well: G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x8G DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) F3-1600C9D-16GRSL

Upgrade was easy, even since this is first QNAP unit I open (I have multiple Synology boxes but recently switched to QNAP, got TS-870 Pro filled with 500GB 840 Pro SSDs and 10GB Ethernet), took about 30 minutes with no rush. After upgrade powered on the unit, it started, then rebooted itself and then booted just fine, CPU and 16GB memory recognized, no worries.

Happy with power consumption, new CPU is more powerful than Pentium but consumes less power:

QNAP TVS-671 4x HGST He8, Pentium G3250 - 59.6W idle, 68W file operations, 32.8W sleep
QNAP TVS-671 4x HGST He8, i7-4765T - 52.3W idle, 58.4W file operations

Now awaiting for Intel X540-T2 10GB NIC to complete my setup :-)

P.S. This upgrade will definitely void the warranty as they put a red substance on almost every screw you have to remove...like 30 of them :-)
I know it's a few years on, but I want to ask how you like the i7-4765T in your TVS-671. I'm looking at that CPU for my brother's TVS-471. It came equipped with an i3-4150.

I already upgraded my TVS-871 to a i7-4790S. :DD It made a pretty big difference in performance.
noodles_gb

Post by noodles_gb »

It turned out that my QNAP NAS was faulty. I arranged a return with Amazon and just got around to fitting the i7 to the replacement. All up and working and a nice speed improvement. Now I feel like it's the discs slowing me down rather than the CPU. NZBGet unrar is now seconds rather than minutes and my weekly AV scan takes around 12 hours instead of 2 days. :)
up2ucnx
New here

Post by up2ucnx »

Hi All, did the upgrade i3 to i7 today & its working great! You do need to take the face plate off as there is a pesky MB screw right at the front. Just undo the 4 screws that hold the entire sata back plane & pull it out side ways. But it is a lot of screws to undo. I installed the i7 4790S (some thermal paste on the new cpu is needed) the temp here in Hervey Bay QLD OZ in 30c and the CPU is running at 38c right now. I will upograde the system fan. The RAM is 16G of the best I could get. I noted that the MB is TS 871 Pro & it says the i7 is the CPU but I am wondering if al the cores are enabled, any ideas? It did boot twice as others have said.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

up2ucnx wrote:...it says the i7 is the CPU but I am wondering if al the cores are enabled, any ideas?
You should be able to see all the individual cores separately in Control Panel, System Settings, Resource Monitor (check System Resource, CPU and change the view from Average to CPU1) to view individual graphs for each core.

Possibly Control Panel, System Settings, System Status should also report the number of CPU cores.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
up2ucnx
New here

Post by up2ucnx »

Great, Thanks for that.
Mine is a TVS471
Anyone know of a way to add a SSD to the 471? I am thinking along the lines of cache so not USB so there must be some expansion boards somewhere
There is a Thunderbolt, PCI X4 & X3 slots on the MB
Ed
katolink
New here

Post by katolink »

up2ucnx wrote:Great, Thanks for that.
Mine is a TVS471
Anyone know of a way to add a SSD to the 471? I am thinking along the lines of cache so not USB so there must be some expansion boards somewhere
There is a Thunderbolt, PCI X4 & X3 slots on the MB
Ed
You can either add SSDs in the regular trays or you can use a QM2 expansion card (in the PCIe gen. 2 x4 slot on MB) to add M.2 PCIe SSDs. But you should consider if SSD cache is worth it based on your usage.

Return to “Presales”