TVS-671-PT-4G: Dual-core Intel G3250 upgrade to i7

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
gridluck2
Starting out

Re: TVS-671-PT-4G: Dual-core Intel G3250 upgrade to i7

Post by gridluck2 »

Benna80 wrote:Then i suspect there's an issue with the motherboard, is the only explanation i have.
If you bought from amazon you have 1 month to give back to them :)
my warranty sticker is out, :shock: I wonder whether they can find it out..
Brian_D
New here

Post by Brian_D »

I upgraded my TVS-471-PT-4G to i7-4790S (also 16GB previously). It has only been 1 day but so far so good.

This link on the 470 was a big help - has about 90% steps/screws in common with the 471 at least for the processor. It did not require removing the sticker.
http://jojetski.com/upgrading_the_qnap_ts-470_nas.html

Thought I would share in case others were considering it for this model.
BryceWilkins
Know my way around

Post by BryceWilkins »

Brian_D wrote:I upgraded my TVS-471-PT-4G to i7-4790S (also 16GB previously). It has only been 1 day but so far so good.

This link on the 470 was a big help - has about 90% steps/screws in common with the 471 at least for the processor. It did not require removing the sticker.
http://jojetski.com/upgrading_the_qnap_ts-470_nas.html

Thought I would share in case others were considering it for this model.
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for your post and sharing the link of what you found helpful. I am considering purchase of TVS-x71-PT-4G as my second NAS and doing the CPU and RAM upgrade also. The knowledge shared in this thread is super helpful! Thanks everyone! :)
Brian_D
New here

Post by Brian_D »

Thanks! A few tips already mentioned elsewhere in the thread but worth repeating:

1. I saw someone use paper to sketch where each screw went during each phase of the disassembly. I found this very helpful and just left each screw in its respective spot on the paper but also marked it in case it got knocked around.

2. You really do need a long #2 Phillips screwdriver - I would say 8" minimum and 12" preferred (not including handle). Driving bits/extensions were too thick to use. I was able to work around it by using #2 bit and pliers at a 90 degree angle to turn it but had a store been open I would have gone out to pick one up.

3. Mine rebooted on its own with 10-20 seconds after I turned it on for the first time. It scared me for a second but it came back up all on its own and did a full boot second time.

4. On the TVS-471 I did have to remove the front panel to get to the last screw holding in the motherboard (different from 470 link). This can be done without removing warranty sticker.

This last one I will share just so someone can get a good laugh out of my own stupidity. Make sure you actually follow Step #1 that specifically says "Remove all hard drives before starting." I apparently skipped over it and trouble struck when it came time to remove the backplane. Not only did I forget to remove them first, but apparently the key for the drive lock was misplaced during our recent move. I tore the house apart for an hour and nothing, but what was I to do, I already had 20 something screws out and felt committed at that point.....didn't want to put it back together and wait days for a key. After a few failed attempts with a straw and a big pen cap I stumbled upon the perfect fit - a rubber screw thread protector. It worked almost as easily as the key itself, just pushed it in and turned all 4 no problem. This is the exact one I used just in case anyone ever finds themselves in a jam.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L8GEVVE/
BryceWilkins
Know my way around

Post by BryceWilkins »

Brian_D wrote:Thanks! A few tips already mentioned elsewhere in the thread but worth repeating:
< snip >
Thanks for your follow-up with concise list of tips -- it really helps with long threads such as this!

When I skimmed some pages of the thread earlier I read about people who had troubles getting the 16GB RAM to be detected correctly. I'm sure others have mentioned what they found working, but I wonder if you could share an Amazon link or similar for your RAM upgrade?

Did you consider the i7-4790T (TDP = 45W) in place of the i7-4790S (TDP = 65W), and if so, why did you choose the latter option? I just ask because I see many potential options of which the i7-4790S is most commonly talked about in these threads.

Thanks and enjoy your upgrade!
Brian_D
New here

Post by Brian_D »

BryceWilkins wrote: When I skimmed some pages of the thread earlier I read about people who had troubles getting the 16GB RAM to be detected correctly. I'm sure others have mentioned what they found working, but I wonder if you could share an Amazon link or similar for your RAM upgrade?
Sure thing. I purchased the "Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3L 1600 SODIMM Memory for Mac System(CT2K8G3S160BM)" about a year ago and have not had any issues with it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LTBJFW/
BryceWilkins wrote: Did you consider the i7-4790T (TDP = 45W) in place of the i7-4790S (TDP = 65W), and if so, why did you choose the latter option? I just ask because I see many potential options of which the i7-4790S is most commonly talked about in these threads.
I did not look at the i7-4790T. I was just looking for the highest clock speed but did not do much comparison. Looking at quick comparison now though they seem very similar so I'm not sure you can go wrong with either.
http://ark.intel.com/compare/80809,80808
gridluck2
Starting out

Post by gridluck2 »

I've finally got an approved RMA and have sent it to QNAP repair facility..
rwaves
New here

Post by rwaves »

I finally tried the Upgrade of my TVS-471. I took me quite some time to get the mainboard out of the case. The assembly was fortunately quicker thanks to the paper screw overview.
It runs now with an i7-4790T and 16 GB RAM (from A-Data).
Everything seems to run as expected. I was a little bit worried when the device powered itself off at the first boot. But then it automatically booted again and was operational.

I have read that the TVS-471 uses a 12 cm cooling fan. I have looked at noctua and they offer different models with different rpm and noise values. Does anyone know which one should be suited for the TVS-471?

They offer:

NF-F12 PWM - 1500 rpm - 22,4 db/A - 93,4 m3/h
NF-P12 PWM - 1300 rpm - 19,8 db/A - 92,3 m3/h
NF-S12A PWM - 1200 rpm - 17,8 db/A - 107,5 m3/h

It seems to me that the last one is the most effective and quiet one. Are there other things or requirement to consider for the QNAP?
gridluck2
Starting out

Post by gridluck2 »

so my NAS is finally back from QNAP and guess what? they've replaced the motherboard even without warranty sticker! love them! now I've all working, and my system can officially be called TVS-671-i7-16G wohoo!
16g.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

Nice news, i have 2 questions for you

1) Have you sent the NAS to some kind of official technical support or what?
2) the i7 CPU was already installed when you've shipped the unit to the technical support or you have installed the CPU once the unit arrived from the support? Because i was wondering if they can rise some trouble due to the fact that the CPU change will invalidate the warranty...
gridluck2
Starting out

Post by gridluck2 »

I opened a support ticket with them through https://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit, and told about my issue with RAM, I also told them that I've changed the CPU. They said I need to get an RMA approval (which surprisingly was approved) then leave stock RAM and CPU inside, and add 2x8GB ram kit to the box so they can play with it. I had to pay for shipment though, well, a week later I was told that MB was replaced and they're shipping it back at their own expense, no other questions asked. I got it 3 days later, opened and saw no waranty sticker, so I changed CPU again and here I am.
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

Incredible, and glad to hear from a direct experience how QNAP manage the support.
It would be interesting to know if you notice any improvement in performances after having changed the CPU.... Don't know if you performed some test with i3 CPU to be compare with new tests with i7 CPU
gridluck2
Starting out

Post by gridluck2 »

no, I didnt' run any tests on i3, the i7 must perform better in anyways, so why bother proving yourself the obvious?:)
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

Because in my case i've found some 4K movies stuttering with i3 CPU on KODI, i was wondering which was the behaviour with the i7, because looking at the benchmarks, the Desktop version of the i3 mounted on the NAS should not be very distant from the S version of your i7, but this is pure theory
gridluck2
Starting out

Post by gridluck2 »

"stuttering" is subjective, it may not be related to CPU only, you need some benchmark tool to assess systems performance.. I can run some tests for you if you want, with your files or following some benchmark guide, let me know

Return to “Presales”