TVS-871 Direct HDMI controls

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
muad_dib77
Starting out

TVS-871 Direct HDMI controls

Post by muad_dib77 »

Hi All,

Please be gentle with me - 1st time poster. I've used the search function to check if this has already been answered but cant find anything, and youtube videos seem to skip right past the hdmi functionality of the tvs 871. It's always mentioned, never demonstrated.

I'm right on the verge of investing in a 871, but I cant figure out if it's controllable through the HDMI, same way my Onkyo amp is through my TV remote.

- Yes I understand that I can connect mouse, keyboard and all that jazz..but I'd really rather not. There's already enough crap on the table in the sitting room, between xbox1 controllers, TVremote, Satellite remote - urgh..

My Amazon basket is loaded and I'm ready to pull the trigger, please help. (i3-4g version, 16gb ram ready to order).

Thanking you in advance,
Jay
schumaku
Guru

Re: TVS-871 Direct HDMI controls

Post by schumaku »

Hello Jay,
Welcome to the QNAP NAS Community Forum!
muad_dib77 wrote:but I cant figure out if it's controllable through the HDMI, same way my Onkyo amp is through my TV remote.
Define "control" ...

Your Onkyo has n no aspect the complexity, flexibility, and the universality of a NAS. Even with the HDM;I, the NAS management is done from a computer, in a Web browser. On point - somebody correct me if i'm wrong: The TS-x71 Series family does not come with an IR port for a QNAP or MCE remote.

As around of writing, the Kodi media player on the NAS should become compatible to the Pulse Eight HDMI-CEC Adapter - which should allow to control it (as per your request) - over HDMI from CEC capable receivers/TVs. Not convinced this can be extended to work with the HD Station UI or it's other Apps like a Web browser.
muad_dib77 wrote:- Yes I understand that I can connect mouse, keyboard and all that jazz..but I'd really rather not.
Still, one of these smaller wireless keyboard/touch-pad combo devices coming with a USB HID receiver are the way to go for this device. Alternate, you might consider the mobile device Qremote App (for Android and iOS) - assume these are always around, kind of...

Regards,
-Kurt.
muad_dib77
Starting out

Post by muad_dib77 »

Thanks Kurt, much appreciated.

I'd love to be able to cursor left,right,up,down and select. That HDMI CEC doowad looks like it's the tool for the job!
I'll order one along with the rest of the kit!

I understand I'll manage the NAS remotely.
In actual fact the NAS will be replacing a full serverbuild that I never got to finish properly as between Raid controller, Drive failures, PSU mis-spec I just got p1ssed off with it.
This tvs 871 looks like it's the closest thing to a real powerhouse, client backup, datastore, AND vmachines - actually giddy with excitement.
muad_dib77
Starting out

Post by muad_dib77 »

:) Order placed - new UPS on the was as well, live in the country side, and I'm done dealing with degraded raids.
Went with the Adata 16gb ram kit that I've seen mentioned elsewhere.
Will see how I get on with the i3 cpu, looks like the i7 CPU that should function well is still around the 300e mark even though supply is plentiful.

Now to migrate some data and list the old kit on eBay :)
michaelproach
New here

Post by michaelproach »

Use a FLIRC USB dongle, it works on the TVS-871. FLIRC emulates a keyboard. It is simple to program and works great

Return to “Presales”