Upgrade from TS-269L

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
Pfriis
New here

Upgrade from TS-269L

Post by Pfriis »

I am looking for an upgrade from my TS-269L to a new 2-bay model. How much will I gain to upgrade to TS-251+, TS-251A, HS-251 or a similar model. Please help to choice the right product - or maybe advice me to stay at the 269L..!

I am looking after a new model, that will support a better sleep-function (not programmed hibernation, because this function do not start my media-server correct). I believe I have tried all the combinations in the controlpanel to get a quiet server at night.. Every attempt result in a manuel or programmed start-up and everytime the mediaserver (LINN Kazoo Server) do not start-up correct after hibernation.

On my other NAS from Synology the disks and the NAS-server is falling asleep automatically when I am not using the server, and start up the discs and server again when I connect to the server from my iPad/PC or other device. When the Synology NAS i sleeping it is silent and the lamps are off. I would be glad to have the same functionality on a QNAP..!

The reason why I own a QNAP is because LINN only support QNAP to run the LINN Kazoo Server. I hope that you can advice my to a QNAP NAS that will support my demands to the sleep-function.

My TS-269L i configured with 3 GB RAM and 2 x 3 TB WD RED discs at 5200 rpm.
schumaku
Guru

Re: Upgrade from TS-269L

Post by schumaku »

Hi,

Power control options are the very same for these and similar QNAP NAS models. QNAP does support both HDD spin-down and manual system sleep (ACPI S3) on almost all decent desktop Intel and AMD based NAS systems without expansion boxes.

Sleep (ACPI S3) is a sleep state, processes are not stopped or restarted, RAM remains powered - the system is supposed to return to the same workable status. Talk to LINN if their media server does not "survive" a sleep and wake-up (or does probably not support it).

There are just two specific competitor models from 2013 (DS213+ and DS413) offering system hibernation, manual or automatic - and not much beyond.

Regards,
-Kurt.
Pfriis
New here

Post by Pfriis »

Thank you Kurt. I will contact Linn Support..
ja666
Know my way around

Downgrade to DS213+

Post by ja666 »

Thank you, Kurt.
I am so exhausted with the everydays' fight with QNAP DLNA idiosyncrasies, that I ordered Synology DS213+ as to your suggestion.
I see no reason to power at home my TS-269L 7/24 with 31 Watts when idle (21 W with disk sleeping after switching-off a lot of NAS functions), but what is more important I await Synology / Samsung DS Video app will ease with NAS->Smart TV smooth streaming.
I hope QNAP and Samsung make video streaming app availableone day.

-----
schumaku wrote:There are just two specific competitor models from 2013 (DS213+ and DS413) offering system hibernation, manual or automatic - and not much beyond.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I have perfect DLNA streaming (twonky) and low power usage (ARM CPU) and QNAP still makes those (albeit newer models)

...and at the end of the day 21Watts are your typical hallway light bulb .. so .. meh

In Germany (where power is expensive) that would be 20Euros per Year (based on 15 sleep state hours per day) in Canada (BC) around 10CAD... that new device has to last a couple(!) of years to make up for those savings

Return to “Presales”