Attaching SAS Enclosures (None QNAP vendors)

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
edddeduck
Starting out

Attaching SAS Enclosures (None QNAP vendors)

Post by edddeduck »

I'd like to know if the QNAP software purposely block other vendors SAS enclosures or if you can attach other vendors enclosures to be controlled by a QNAP server using QTS 4.2 or 4.3.

I know you can attach SAS enclosures like this one made by QNAP:

https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/product/model.php?II=130

However given the SAS/JBOD enclosure is essentially a dumb unit that has to follow standard specifications I cannot see why I could not attach an HP StorageWorks SAS enclosure or a Promise VTRAK instead. I have a few of these enclosures and I'd be keen to purchase a QNAP SAS card (6Gbps) for my QNAP server and have my QNAP control the enclosure. Can anyone officially say of this should work or if the QNAP software looks for QNAP branded hardware in some way and blocks other vendors kit? In theory given QNAP is built of Linux and I have other Linux servers using these enclosures right now I'd think it should work (but not be officially supported) however I'd like to know for sure.

I know that QNAP cannot officially support all other vendors enclosures however I would like a simple answer like it should work but we don't test against it, or we deliberately block other enclosures or even here is a list of enclaves that we've tested.

This question has not been addressed or answered in any way (positive or negative) on the QNAP site or on this forum. Some users have posted about using third party enclosures but then stopped posting on the forums before giving more details. Others have posted "QNAP have no support" purely based on looking on the fairly spartan documentation on supported hardware.

I've also asked QNAP support but I'd like to ask in the forums if anyone has done this or have any insight it would be incredibly useful to know.

Thank you in advance.

Edwin
razormoon
Easy as a breeze

Re: Attaching SAS Enclosures (None QNAP vendors)

Post by razormoon »

Have you tried StorageWorks forums? Seems like there are plenty of QNAP topics there.
:!: TVS-871-i7-16G 5.0.0.1932 Build 20220129, KODI, WSE 2019
:?: 1 x KINGSTON SNV325S2 as 2mb block cache, WDC WD40EFRX as RAID5, 1 x WDC WD40EFRX as iSCSI
:idea: APC PRO 1500 S
:-0 WIKI SUPPORT

"Nothing is impossible. Only expensive, illegal or both."
edddeduck
Starting out

Post by edddeduck »

razormoon wrote:Have you tried StorageWorks forums? Seems like there are plenty of QNAP topics there.
Nope do you have a link Google searches for StorageWorks forums come up with loads of possibilities. I you have a link I can start with that would be super useful!

Many thanks for your help!

Edwin
razormoon
Easy as a breeze

Post by razormoon »

https://community.hpe.com/t5/forums/sea ... rue&q=qnap

You need to be registered to get the complete results. Also know that that is just one part of their forums. They have many blogs and discussions sections within, hardware and software split.
Apart from that there was someone who had a D2600 he used with his QNAP.

Sorry I don't know much more.
:?: 1 x KINGSTON SNV325S2 as 2mb block cache, WDC WD40EFRX as RAID5, 1 x WDC WD40EFRX as iSCSI

edddeduck
Starting out

Post by edddeduck »

razormoon wrote:https://community.hpe.com/t5/forums/sea ... rue&q=qnap

You need to be registered to get the complete results. Also know that that is just one part of their forums. They have many blogs and discussions sections within, hardware and software split.

Sorry I don't know much more.
You've helped more than anyone else ever has and given me a fresh place to research. Thank you very much!

Edwin
edddeduck
Starting out

Post by edddeduck »

razormoon wrote:https://community.hpe.com/t5/forums/sea ... rue&q=qnap
I've been looking around for a hour on the forums and can't find any posts about this. Without being a pain do know you where exactly you saw this?

Thanks again for being so helpful!
razormoon
Easy as a breeze

Post by razormoon »

No problem, Edwin.

I believe I may have seen it on product reviews. It may have been on Amazon while reading the reviews for several NAS. This is where I usually get the best "dirt" on personal experiences.

And with that said, companies like Amazon are amazing when it comes to product return. It is conceivable that if you purchase the NAS from them (Amazon and not reseller on Amazon), you can then test and return the NAS stating that it does not work with your equipment.

I apologize that I can't be of much more help.

Good luck!

egawrangler
New here

Post by egawrangler »

@edddeduck - Did you have any success? I have the same question on using a non-QNAP SAS enclosure.
edddeduck
Starting out

Post by edddeduck »

egawrangler wrote:@edddeduck - Did you have any success? I have the same question on using a non-QNAP SAS enclosure.
Sadly not and I don't have the budget right now to risk getting the SAS card and finding out the third party enclosure won't work. But if I do find any info I'll certainly be making a post about it to help out fellow QNAP users as it seems to be a (fairly) popular question.

Return to “Presales”