Should i go to QNAP?

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
Llamalord
New here

Re: Should i go to QNAP?

Post by Llamalord »

So the tvs-673 is the newer ones. Its not on the Plex list as of right now. How does the AMD preform over the Intel?
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Yes the TVS-x73 models were just released late 2016. The TVS-x71 models have been out for a while.

In terms of performance it depends which intel you are looking at. Compared to i3/i5, faster in general. Compared to i7 models, slower.

QNAP has a nice youtube video outlining where the x73 family falls in their family line.
https://youtu.be/MFn_Iqm6GgU
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
aarbee
Easy as a breeze

Post by aarbee »

One small remark.
I have the 673. And added 4 disks.
I had choosen Raid 5. And when I wanted to change to Raid 6, I found out that I did not see the option.
You can only go from Raid 5 to Raid 6 when you have 3 disks connected via Raid 5.
See also this post: https://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Kn ... -to-raid-6
Friendly Greetings,

RobB

Main NAS:
Model: TS-253D - 20200725
Boot:- Raid 1: 2x 1 TB m.2 WD Red
Disks - 6TB WD Red, 350GB WD blue 2.5"

BACKUP NAS (On 2 hours a day due to Electricity costs)
Model: TvS-673 40GB (2*32+2*4) - 20170215
Boot:-Raid 1: 2x Crucial M.2 275GB 2x
Disks Raid 1:-3.5" 2x Toshiba 10 TB
UPS: Back-UPS Pro BR900G-GR
---

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Media Boxe: Nvidia ShieldTV Pro
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

aarbee wrote:One small remark.
I have the 673. And added 4 disks.
I had choosen Raid 5. And when I wanted to change to Raid 6, I found out that I did not see the option.
You can only go from Raid 5 to Raid 6 when you have 3 disks connected via Raid 5.
See also this post: https://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Kn ... -to-raid-6
Wow.. didn't know that one. I suppose makes it easier to do the migration by only supporting it for 3 Drives.
Paul

aarbee
Easy as a breeze

Post by aarbee »

I just had copied all my files to an external disk, and made a new 4-disk set of Raid 6. Later extended that to 5*500GB.
Was a bit labour to do. Copy over and back.
Checking users and Shared Folders.
Lost all of Plex and VirtualiZation Station. but it is all brought back by now.
I am happy to teach you a bit Trexx. ;-). You helped me so much allready.
Last edited by aarbee on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friendly Greetings,

RobB

Main NAS:

---

Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

aarbee wrote:I just had copied all my files to an external disk, and made a new 4-disk set of Raid 6. Later extended that to 5*500GB.
Was a bit labour to do. Copy over and back.
Checking users and Shared Folders.
Lost all of Plex and VirtualiZation Station. but it is all brought back by now.
I am happy to teach you a bit Trexx. ;-). You helped me so much allready.
Always something new to learn. I am working on a pet project to rebuild my NAS config from scratch via script. Basically get QTS & RAID setup, and then copy the "rebuild" folder over and launch script to install apps, setup users/share/etc., do the majority of all the NAS config. Still have some things to figure out but got a good chunk of it done.
Paul

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

aarbee wrote:You can only go from Raid 5 to Raid 6 when you have 3 disks connected via Raid 5.
No that isn't corrrect on a TVS-673!

That information is only valid for cat1 (aka Home) NASes and it's documented for those models. For cat2 (aka SMB) models supporting storage pools you can go from RAID 5 to RAID 6 with any number of disks.

There must be some other reason you don't see the option.
That article is from early 2012 and more than 5 years old, I don't think there were any cat2 models back then.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
aarbee
Easy as a breeze

Post by aarbee »

I had issues with the RTRR backups, after I had moved the older 239 to the remote location.
Because of that did I send in a support request to Qnap.
I also asked in the same mail where I could go from Raid 5 to Raid 6, as I did not see the option.

I got this answer twice from QNAP support:
Considering your question about upgrading from raid 5 to raid 6
this is not possible. That's also why you didn't see the option.

https://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Kn ... -to-raid-6
Friendly Greetings,

RobB

Main NAS:

---

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

aarbee wrote:I got this answer twice from QNAP support:
Considering your question about upgrading from raid 5 to raid 6
this is not possible. That's also why you didn't see the option.

https://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Kn ... -to-raid-6
Well the limitation mentioned in that note was written for and it applies to cat1 models. It's also clearly documented for them.

With LVM and storage pools, the RAID management became a whole new ball game and I refuse to believe that Qnap have that same limitation in cat2 without documenting it. They could have missed it at first but by now too many people would have run into the issue for it to remain undocumented.

I'm sorry but I presently have no cat2 device to test on so I can't check but I'm pretty sure support was wrong on that, twice.

Is there anybody that have a cat2 model in RAId 5 with 4 disks or more and a spare that can try and check this?

Or maybe anyone knows about this and can confirm it, or correct me?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
aarbee
Easy as a breeze

Post by aarbee »

Trex maybe? Or is he allready on Raid 6?
Friendly Greetings,

RobB

Main NAS:

---

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

aarbee wrote:Trex maybe? Or is he allready on Raid 6?
According to his signature he's on RAID 5 but with no empty disk bays.

Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Correct... haven't messed with Raid-6 on my QNAP so can't give any insight on this one. I would suspect that you should be able to do it with more than just 3 drives, but would probably open a helpdesk ticket to see if there was a reason why you couldn't.
Paul

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Trexx wrote:...but would probably open a helpdesk ticket to see if there was a reason why you couldn't.
You mean them that already told aarbee twice that it only works with a 3-disk RAID 5?

That's why I'm hoping on cummunity support instead. I think someone here must have already done this and know.

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

P3R wrote:With LVM and storage pools, the RAID management became a whole new ball game and I refuse to believe that Qnap have that same limitation in cat2 without documenting it. They could have missed it at first but by now too many people would have run into the issue for it to remain undocumented.
On the current systems (CAT2) Storage Manager - RAID Groups - there is virtually no limitation (except of the obvious requirement of "one more" HDD).

The KB article refers to CAT1 only and will be updated by QNAP. Thank you for the hint!

-Kurt
aarbee
Easy as a breeze

Post by aarbee »

@Trex: I had opened a support ticket for a problem I had with my RTRR. And asked them about changing from Raid 5 to Raid 6. I received the answer from Support that it was not possible.
And Qnap support wrote me that Twice. My text in here is an exact copy of their text.

@Schumaku: I did not know about Cat 1 and 2, but believe you are correct.
Yet did I not see the option to change from 5 to 6, when I had 4 drives as Raid 5. I had added a fifth disk, but still could not see it.
However when I deleted all of the pool and started from scratch, I saw that I could take raid 0,1,5,6 or 10.
Perhaps the option is hidden somewhere.
Friendly Greetings,

RobB

Main NAS:

---

Return to “Presales”